Chapter 5

[tori]

“It’s a boy!” I heard a voice that sounded like Aunt May’s from down the corridor as we creeped along, trying to find Brooke. I longed to see the foal, but knew it was more important to get Brooke and go back to the office. If Aunt May got back before we did, I knew we would be in huge trouble! As we passed by a feed-room, I saw a bucket sitting in the doorway, unattended. I frowned. If no one was around, the mice would come out and eat the feed. If the mice were to eat the feed they would come back. I motioned for Sophie, who was following close behind me, to stop, and I quickly darted over to the feed room to grab the bucket. I picked up the bucket and entered the room, trying to find a bag that contained similar feed. I finally came across one labeled “Barney” and emptied the feed into it, shaking what was left into the bag. I set the bucket down next to the bag and turned around, only to see two people wrapped in an embrace in the corner of the room. I let out a tiny gasp, accidentally awaring the couple of my presence. They broke apart and turned to face me. The taller male of the pair had short, dark, hair and tan skin along with blue eyes. The female was short, with wavy brown hair and hazel eyes. Brooke. She smiled nervously, her cheeks going red; I just scowled.

“What are you doing here? We were supposed to be sneaking over to see the foal but  you decide to follow some guy in here and kiss him? That’s total crap.” She hung her head in shame and I immediately felt bad for what I had said. But there was no time to apologize.

“Look, we really need to get back to the house. Aunt May will go back and she’ll flip if we’re not there.” Brooke nodded solemnly, but she turned around to hug the guy and say a few things to him before following me out, her shoulders slumped. Sophie was waiting outside, cautiously crouched behind a tack box, but when we emerged her face contorted in confusion. I gestured to the stall we had come out of, and she nodded, darting down the corridor in that direction. When we got to the stall, I pulled open the back door and we slipped out into the sunlight.

We made it back into the small office earlier than we had anticipated, and sat in wait for a few minutes before Aunt May returned. She entered the room swiftly and dropped herself into the chair behind the desk, rubbing her temples.

“Did everything go okay, Aunt May?” I had to play dumb, for fear that she would suspect something. She just let out a tiny sigh before speaking.

“Yes, everything went okay. Oreo gave birth to an adorable little boy!!” She exclaimed, but I sensed an underlying tone of fear.

“What’s wrong?” I asked sensing the worry in her voice.

“Oh, nothing,” Aunt May replied. I knew something was up… but what? Knowing that she did not want to talk about it, I nodded curtly and walked out of the room.

About an hour later, I heard Aunt May’s statticky voice on my pretty cool, walky-talky. I jogged down the hall towards the office, excited to hear what jobs the girls would be assigned.

“Tori, can you get the girls some clothes and take them to their living quarters? I’ve already given them instructions about their work.” Aunt May gave me instructions, and I immediately led the girls out of the room to follow them.

“Let’s see,” I said as soon as we got into cabin “8-G”, “Brooke, you’ll work in Barn A, just don’t get in trouble, and Sophie you’ll work in orchard 1 with me. I’ll show Brooke the person that’s supposed to help her. after that I’ll show you, Sophie, what to do.”

I took Brooke to the barn and showed her around and introduced her to her instructor, Kael. He was the only one capable to teach her, but I noticed he was the one who had kissed Brooke, probably without knowing her name.

When we walked in Kael was there to introduce us.

“Well Brooke, this is Kael, although you two have already met,’’ when I finished Brooke’s face turned bright red and Kael smirked.

“Well, hi Brooke, I’ll show you around and show you the ropes and how to feed the horses,” Kael replied as if nothing had happened between them.

“While Brooke gets situated, Sophie come with me and I’ll show you your job. I honestly feel like I’m sounding bland. Am I?” I asked. I honestly felt like I was boring them with my rules and regulations.

“No, you just have to tell us what to do and how to do it,” Sophie reassured me. When she finished we started walking towards Orchard 1.

A/N

Hey ya’ll it’s Sophie, Brooke and I will both be writing Tori’s point of view in this book.

Until next time, Sophie ><>