THREE

It took a little longer than a while for the words to sink in, she opened her mouth to clarify and a cry escaped her lips.

"No," Theresa used the hand that wasn't holding the phone to cover her mouth so she could sob, she needed to feel a little bit better.

"Yes, they died a couple hours ago, they said it might've been something they ingested," Florence sounded strong now, knowing her child was far away breaking down was enough to surge energy through her.

"It's early what could they have had," Theresa was crying but her brain was spinning.

"Nothing, I just had them drink some holy water," Florence was also thinking now. "I have to go, I'll call you back."

But she didn't hang up.

"Mummy?" Phoebe walked into her mother's room.

"Yes my love," Florence kept her back to her.

"Mummy, I miss them," Phoebe sighed getting close enough to rest on her mum.

Florence put down her phone, wanting to give her baby her full attention.
"God knows best, okay?" She wrapped her arms around Phoebe, it was what Florence hoped would provide her with comfort too.

Theresa leaned in to her phone, the sounds from home kept her tethered, kept her in the reins of her mind, she didn't want to let go.

"Join me in prayer," Florence kissed Phoebe's forehead.

They prayed for a while, Florence started to cry before they'd even begun, leaving Phoebe to lead the prayers.

Florence smiled at Phoebe, thinking it was sweet of her to want to be strong for her mother and seeing Phoebe like this Florence realized she needed to have what was left of her family together, they needed to be there for each other.

"We're going to Lagos," Florence announced after they made the sign of the cross, ending their prayer.

Phoebe smiled to herself, now this was perfect, she was given the final opportunity, she could take out the one.

Still on the phone, Theresa had joined in the prayer and heard the announcement but she couldn't stop thinking about the Holy Water her mother had given her sisters and if it were to have been something they ingested shouldn't the entire family have been killed? Not that she wasn't happy that she had some family left but something was not adding up and busying her mind trying to figure that out felt easier than getting used to the fact that she had two of her sisters no more.

"I didn't know you were still there, you've heard the news then see you soon, my love." Florence picked up her phone.

Now, it was the weekend after the death of Claire and Alex, the entire extended family knew and because Florence was never one to ask for help, every time she was asked what she needed, the answer was always nothing, even though her insides felt empty, a lot of her went with her children.

She and Phoebe had gotten off the plane, claimed their luggage and were currently waiting for their bolt driver to come pick them up.

It was a quiet ride to the hotel, Florence kept musing over how she was to survive the next month of her paid leave without any distractions, she could feel herself drift from God and she hated that.

In the seat beside her, Phoebe went over her plans again, it was simple; kill Theresa and make it look like suicide, everyone would believe she couldn't cope with the trauma and decided to kill herself, according to her mum, Theresa was supposed to have already checked into the hotel and from the information that she'd overheard her mother had no plans to leave the room, which meant there was very little time to carry out her plans.

Alone in the room, Theresa paced, they needed to sue the bottling company for selling a poisoned batch because if they didn't sell one then it meant someone in the house contaminated them and that was an impossibility. She knew if she handed this information to her mum, she would run with it, if someone was responsible for the death of her sisters, she was certain her mum would go to the ends of the earth to make sure they felt a fraction of the hurt she was feeling.

She had just sat when the door opened to reveal Phoebe, she jumped to greet her sister and moved back when she saw what was in her hand, she knew she couldn't have been more wrong.

"Drink," Phoebe stretched out a bottle of water.

——————————————————
I hope you enjoyed reading as much as I enjoyed writing.
Comments and/or critiques are welcome and honestly appreciated.

Be sure to like, vote and/or share, It'd make me really happy. Thank you. And I'll be very happy to answer any questions you have.

Alexis Brim❤️