Chapter 7

So that's how I spent the rest of my evening: in the police station, giving statements with my mother.  Surprisingly, there was barely anybody there, except an old lady and a receptionist.

I bit my nails down to the core with worry; what if the haters were never caught?

I remembered one time when the haters were particularly sour towards Ari, when she posted a selfie in her new stage outfit and was called immediately called a slut for it.

"We're selling it!" Ariana had demanded,  tears in her eyes. 

"Honey, I thought you liked it-"

"I do," she'd whispered.  "But it has to go."

I hated how simple words could hurt,  yet no one could accept a compliment.  I hated how they always upset this seemingly strong girl. I hated how they upset me too.

It had killed me seeing her act so strangely. No-one, not even the worst people, should go through that.  They all deserve love, that's what Ari always said. Especially the haters, because they needed it the most.

I slumped down more and rested my elbows on my knees. I became conscious of how tired I was. Mom was still giving her statement.  The clock ticked. Tick, tock, tick, tock. That's all that really happened...

Until a girl burst in,  her face stained with tears, her wrist dripping with blood.

"I killed her!" She screamed. "I killed Ariana!"

Suddenly everything wasn't so boring.