Chapter 3

My friends and family weren't safe around me

My friends and family weren't safe around me. I knew this was true for a long time but yesterday I didn't doubt it. I always knew that I attracted monsters and weird creatures. Though everyone I knew couldn't see them, I did, and I knew I wasn't seeing things. Not only do I see them, but I can sense them around me before I see them. My house never felt safe, but no one else noticed. I always tried to keep my distance from others and didn't stay at home very much, but when I was, things weren't very pretty. Yesterday wasn't the best day... It was probably the worst in my life. It made me run away, and now I'm hungry, alone, and I hate to admit it, but I'm a little scared. You're probably wondering what happened yesterday. I don't like to talk about it, but I'll tell you.

A few days ago, 3 of my friends, 2 of which were my good friends and my neighbors, Emily, and Abby, and the other being my best friend who I trust my life with, Caitlyn, were hanging out when my mom brought up the topic of a camping trip.

"Hey Sara, we are gonna go camping on the weekend so you should start getting packed up," my mom casually told me as if she had told me this news a month ago.

"What? Mom, there is no way I'm gonna go camping with you. You know I don't like spending a lot of time with people," I replied.

"Oh, please? Honey, I barely ever get out of the house anymore!"

"Okay fine, you can go camping with... with dad... but leave me here," I gagged while saying, dad. Once my real dad left us, my mom met this idiot named Bert at work and fell in love with him. They got married and he's a real jerk. I hate calling him dad. I only do it when I'm talking to my mom. Though I never met my real dad, and he left before I could get to know him, I would probably take him over Bert any day.

"But then I wouldn't be able to spend any quality time with my baby. You're out of the house so much and I don't see you much anymore!" My mom had a point but I didn't want to risk her life for a dumb camping trip.

"Okay first, don't call me that. And second, I don't think it's worth it," I was a little embarrassed about the fact that she called me "her baby".

"Hey, if you are okay with it, Emily, Abby, and I could all come with you. Just so you don't feel awkward with Bert and your mom together," Caitlyn whispered the second sentence to me.

"Yeah, that's a good idea!" Abby agreed.

"I'm down! We'd love to go with you!" Emily sounded pretty happy with that idea too. I didn't have the best feeling about the trip and I didn't want to go. Now I desperately wish I just didn't go at all. Anyway, I asked if we could just rent a cabin because I knew that if we didn't, we would have to sleep on rocks. After all, whenever we try and set up the tent, something goes wrong. The first time we went camping, the tent ripped and we had to sleep on rocks. The second time, we lost it in the wind and had to sleep on rocks. And last time, one of the stakes broke during the drive so, you probably guessed it, we slept on rocks. But my mom and Bert thought that then it wouldn't be, "real camping" if we rented a cabin. I hate it when she agrees with him and not me. And I'm not the jealous type, so that's saying something.