Page.No 2

Happy reading ❤️

***************************************                 

   The mouth of the storm was now closed by the gradual death  of dark clouds and the sunrise  had taken back its responsibility of illuminating the Earth. A blue sparrow took a flight from a branch of a tree of the forest and gliding up and down the mountains, she reached his window.

He stretched out of the bed, where he had fallen asleep just two hours ago and his eyes were swollen due to tiresome driving of 8 hours and lack of enough sleep.

A ticking and taping sound on the window, startled him again, and he swiftly dragged aside the curtain before opening the window ajar. His sudden action flew the blue sparrow away and the bright sun rays dazzled his sight for a while.

“ It was just a sparrow. “ He sighed in relief. He stood in the window with his disheveled hair, and gazed at the mountains, plains and forest facing him. The morning sight was peaceful and ethereal nothing like the last dark and horror night.

*Knock. Knock.*

“Room Service.” A young boy's voice came from the other side of the door.

Zain opened the door and found the  young boy who helped him with his luggage last night, standing in the corridor with a tray of breakfast.

“Your breakfast, sir.” He smiled at him which he returned eagerly.

“ Thank you, young boy.” He took the tray from him and put it down on the table.

“What's your name, neither I remembered to ask you last night nor you told me.” He turned towards him.

“ Shami. “ He uttered his name like it was the most difficult thing to do.

“Hmm. Shami. Well, did you have breakfast?” He poured the tea into a cup before glancing at the boy. Shami shook his had and turned to leave the room but Zain grabbed his arm and guided him towards the opposite chair.

“Then you will have breakfast with me.” He gently pushed him down on the chair and handing him a cup of tea, he returned to his chair.

“No, thank you, Sir but this is against the code of this resort. I am just a servant.” He put down the cup and locked his eyes on his brown, dusty shoes.

“There is only one code I follow and that is of humanity. At this moment you are not a servant but a friend of mine. OK?”

Shami nodded gently in response, receiving a pat on his shoulder by him and both began the breakfast.

“Shami, would you be honest if I ask you something?” Shamir nodded and sat still in the chair to hear his question.

“Is something wrong with this place or resort?” Shami's eyes widened, and he gulped down the lump in his throat.

“N…no.” he stuttered.

“Shami. Don't lie. You promised that you would be honest. I heard unusual knocking on my window last night, and we know that this room is on the top of the resort with a window facing a forest. No human could have done this.” Zain didn't miss the changing colours of Shamir's face.

“ It must have been some wild animal.”

“Really? In the heavy storm, why would any wild animal come to say a ferocious hello to me?” He furrowed his eyebrows and Shami looked away.

“You are just exaggerating, Sir. I assure you......” Zain cuts him off takes him towards the window.

“ See, this window is beyond any animal or Human's reach. So please don't lie to me.”

“ So do you think some paranormal activity was going on here?” Shami twisted his lips in irritation.

“I... I don't know...”

“Well, if you don't know then I suggest you that sometimes ignorance is a bliss too.” Shami turned towards the door and exited the room.

*****************************************************

Zain took his luggage which was still packed and came to the reception area.

“Oh! You are leaving, Sir?” The old man's tone was polite but even though he was questioning Zain, his eyes were fixed on Shami cleaning a window.

“Yes. I am leaving. Told you last night that I will stay just for the night. Remember?”

“Oh! Of course, Sir, I remember that. Just asked you to know if you need anything else?”

“No... I don't, thank you.” Zain took out some money from his wallet and paid for the breakfast before performing a formal duty of signs here and there on the register in the hands of the receptionist.

“Hopefully, you will give us a chance to serve you again, sir.” The old man slightly bowed his head, to which Zain responded with a slight bow and smile.

He was about to turn away from the reception cabin, when at once something fell from his pocket during pulling out his cellphone and fell in his feet.

“Anklet.” The old man whispered to himself.

Zain bent down and picked up the gold anklet. His eyes fell on the curious expressions of the old man, who was staring at the anklet in a strange way which he didn't understand.

“What's the matter?”

“Ah! Nothing. Is this anklet yours?” He pointed his shaking index finger at the anklet.

“Well, just because I am a male, I can't keep an anklet?” He raised an eyebrow at the old man, putting back the anklet in his pocket.

“No. No. I didn't mean this.”

“Hmm. It's OK. Anyway, thanks for all your services. I shall go now.”

“ Take care, sir.”

Zain glance back for a second at the old man who still looked like he had seen something horrible. He exited the resort before biding a farewell to Shami and getting into his Jeep, he drove away.

He shook his head at all the events of the last night and the recent reaction of the old receptionist.  The old man and his resort both were weird to him. He was glad to escape the peculiar resort and start towards the rest of his journey.
He drove fast by the mountains and forest, on a bright sunny day, with the music echoing in the air and the jingle of an anklet.

***************************************

Don't forget to comment your thoughts. Thank you ❤️

Stay tuned for next update.
© Elif Hoorain.