Chapter 44

6 days ago...
11:10 AM

Somewhere in Afghanistan

3rd POV

"Scarecrow! Nice day for a hike huh?" Y/N shouted as he and his team continued their hike.

"Oh yeah! Blue skies, calibre weapons, I just love getting out of the field." Derek replied in sarcasm, making the others laugh.

While looking around, Jackson saw Gary reading a book. He squinted his eyes to get a look on the title of the book. When he saw the title, he shook his head and chuckled.

"Enlighten us Roach." Jackson asked as they continued walking.

Gary glanced up and looked back to his book.

"Without a sign, his sword the brave man draws. And asks no omen, but his country's cause." Gary said as he continued reading.

(A/N: gotta thank my professor for this.)

"That's from....?" Ken asked behind him.

"Homer." Francis answered him.

"Huh. I really don't get those quotes but, I like this one." Ken said as he continued walking.

Y/N and his team were on their way to their second to the last objective, taking out another encampment just like their previous objectives, but this time, it was inside another local town.

The team sneaked inside an abandoned warehouse, 100 meters from the Taliban encampment. Setting up their equipment, they performed a recon to see what they're gonna be dealing.

"Scarecrow, you seeing what I'm seeing?" Y/N asked Derek as he looked through his binoculars.

"Huh... DShK... That's gonna tear us apart." Derek said to him.

"Well better make that your priority before we make our entry."

"Roger that." Derek nodded his head as he fixes the scope of his .338 sniper rifle.

After looking at the encampment, Y/N laid out his plan to the others. After that, they rested until the sun went down.

———————————

9:30 PM

Y/N and his team were moving to an assault position while Derek is providing sniper cover from the warehouse, accompanied by Ken and Kian.

"Scarecrow, you got eyes on that DShK?" Y/N asked from his radio.

"Roger that. Waiting on your go." Derek replied.

"Alright. Breaching the main gate in 3, 2, 1..."

Y/N then detonated the breaching charge on the main gate as it blew open. Derek quickly shot the guy manning the DShK as Y/N and his team entered the compound.

As Y/N and the others were clearing the compound, a large bang came from the door on the warehouse where Derek and the others are.

Ken and Kian quickly peeked at the staircase to see Taliban fighters entering the building.

"1-1 Actual! This is 1-1 Bravo! We got company over here!"  Derek shouted to his radio.

"They're flooding in through the back door!" Ken shouted next.

"Copy that! Mat! Roach! Get to Scarecrow and provide support!" Y/N said to the two as the latter nodded and ran back to the warehouse.

As soon as the two arrived, Mat got shot as he fell down to the ground. Roach quickly gunned down the insurgents in front of them and dragged Mat to a cover.