Chapter 15 - This Is No Apocalypse

***GWEN***

“Peter, are you all right?” I ask, even though I suspect the answer to that question is going to be negative.

Peter raises his head, looking worried. “I don’t think so. I think I’m hearing the same voices Deadpool’s been getting.”

“How can you be sure?”

“Because that’s what the voice is telling me,” Peter says. “Yeah, I know it sounds crazy. If you don’t believe me, I don’t blame you. I hardly believe it myself.”

I edge closer to Peter and take his hand, rubbing my thumb over his knuckles. I’ve remembered him doing that to me a couple of times when I was feeling down, and I figure, why not return the favor?

“Is it any less believable than everything else that’s been going on?” I ask. “Or any more unsettling?”

“I know,” Peter says, “but it’s worse for me because it’s my head being screwed around with.”

I look around and see Clint approaching. “What’s going on?” he asks as he takes a seat on Peter’s other side.

Peter slumps in his seat, pulling my hand down a bit with him. “I, uh…” I half-expect him to add, “Now I’m starting to hear a voice in my head.” But he doesn’t. He must not want the others to worry about him. So I resist the temptation to tell Clint myself, especially when Peter finally speaks up again. “I don’t wanna talk about it.”

“You sure?” Clint asks. “‘Cause if I know you, usually when you don’t wanna talk about something, you mean just the opposite.”

“I think you’re talking about yourself more than me,” Peter says.

“It’s you too,” Clint says. “Why else are we best friends? Besides our similar tastes in music and movies and shit.”

Peter and I both laugh along with Clint. “How long until we land?” I ask.

“I dunno,” Clint says. “Skye, how long until we land?”

“I dunno,” Skye says. She presses a nearby intercom button and asks, “May, how long until we land?”

T-minus three minutes, fifty-six seconds,” May says. I smother a laugh - does she have to sound like a robotic NASA mission controller?

Exactly three minutes and fifty-six seconds later, the quinjet lands on the SFO runway and taxis into the same hangar used by the Bus yesterday. “Does SHIELD pay for this or something?” I ask.

“Coulson would have been able to answer that question,” Skye says with a frown. “Ever since SHIELD fell, he was pretty much chief executive and financial officer of the whole organization.”

“What do you mean, SHIELD fell?” I ask.

“Are you talking about like in the new Captain America movie where there were Hydra sleepers?” Clint asks.

“Yeah, basically,” Skye says. “I don’t think they did a good job of really, truly capturing just how batshit crazy things got, though. In the movie, I mean.”

“Really now?” Steve asks. “I’m starting to remember some wild and crazy action after the fall of SHIELD. From my ‘movie,’ right?” He even throws in air quotes.

“Your movie was from your perspective as an Avenger, though,” Skye says. She pauses as May sends her an order to open the hatch, and she complies before continuing to talk. “As an agent, someone a little more stuck in the system - it was a nightmare.”