Chapter 5

Fall 2016 - Winter 2017

Kara woke up tired again. She hadn't been sleeping well for a few nights now. She kept having nightmare of Lilian Luthor asking her : "what are you to my daughter ?" while she was rotting in her Cadmus cell. When Kara had discovered that Lena's mother was behind Cadmus, she had worried even more for Lena's safety than she already was, which was an awful lot. Kara have tried to warn her friend but even if she had visited Lena as Supergirl to be taken more seriously (and how Kara Danvers, the rookie reporter, would posses such sensitive information anyway) it had been to no avail.

As Kara got out of bed and stretched, she hoped that with Lilian in jail now, this was her last sleepless night. It have been all Lena's doing. Again. Kara wished that her friend would stop acting on the sly, it was so dangerous ! Kara stopped counting the number of times she came close to a heart attack thinking about the situation her friend put herself in. It would be so much better if Lena could bring Supergirl in her suicidal plans, or at least, tell her dear friend Kara Danvers about them so the latter could convey the message. It's not every day you have a friend who's directly in touch with a superhero ! Why in Rao's name not take this incredible opportunity ?

However, as Kara was dressing herself, she decided that today was the day she would put her worries aside. With Lilian's arrest yesterday, Lena was finally safe so the Kryptonian could focus on the important matter at hand. She would stop by Lena's office this evening after work to thank her for her precious help stopping Cadmus. But really, it was to finally tell the CEO the truth. It was time for Lena to know that she was in love with her. Kara had always trusted Lena but now, nobody, even her family, could tell her that the CEO wasn't on her side. Lena had proven her worth again and again, and this time, Kara would too by being honest with her best ally and true friend.

***

Work had been quite exhausting for Kara today. Snapper spent the day barking order at her and he even made her re-do one of her papers three times. So, when it was time to leave work, she didn't wait a second more. She was eager to crash on her couch with some ice cream but she had to stop by Lena's office first.

When she entered the hallway leading to Lena's office, she saw the CEO's assistant tense behind her desk. It was true that Kara had a habit of barging in, but between illegal fights, dangerous gangs and Cadmus, she hadn't really had the time to knock on doors lately. This time, she would do this right, she thought. Politely and all.

-"Hi !" she said smiling brightly at the assistant. "I'm Ka..."

-"I know who you are" Jess interrupted her harshly. "And since Miss Luthor gave you a free pass to her office, why don't you just let yourself in like you usually do instead of bothering me ? I have work to do" she added, stapling documents with more force than necessary.
Kara thought better not to make any comment and turned to knock on the door of Lena's office. She heard Jess whisper "unbelievable" behind her before Lena's voice captured all of her attention : "come in !"

Kara entered the office. Lena was sitting at her desk, putting handwritten annotations on some sketches and blueprints. She looked up and greeted the Kryptonian with an enthusiastic "Kara !"

Upon seeing the CEO so stunning, smiling at her with that beautiful smile only meant for her, Kara told herself that it was indeed time she admit to her friend how she really felt. But that implied telling her about her secret identity first. Dating Kara meant dating Supergirl too. Even the most clueless person in the world would connect the dots eventually. Or run away before they do. Like that guy, whose nose she had broken by kissing him too hard. Or this girl who had ruined her French manicure on Kara's back in a moment of heated passion. If the Kryptonian wanted Lena to be a more important part of her life than she already was, the CEO needed to know the truth.