Mermaids

Merman! X Reader

It was deep, and quiet. The lake shining brightly, la Luna letting her white light grace the water and your bleeding cuts. This wasn't the first time the moon shone beautifully on your scars, and would unlikely be the last. A slimy hand worked its way up your leg, pulling your limp body closer to the water. Your cuts were still fresh, as was your mind on the previous incident. The thing that dragged you closer was wiping slimy hands over the fresh wounds, dipping your arms into the shallow water, allowing its glow to affect each pained area. Groaning, you were hushed by the person nearby, its voice hissed and breathed heavily.

What ever being that was helping you, shouldn't be. This was your own fault, and getting out of this mess should be a one person burden. But, your sudden collapse stopped you from reaching the quaint town nearby. At least, maybe this person could give you a proper burial. No one you knew ever got one, and it would be nice to show up in the after life, knowing that one person cared enough to push your body deep into the damp, inviting soil.

Being dead didn't seem like that bad of a problem anymore. The slippery dirt under the water and soft seagrass tickling each bare foot, was begging you to come closer. Wrapped in that beautifully wet soil, and suffocating grave. Your mind was too hazy, the river god's magic still in effect. Your thoughts were wrong; that much was obvious. But you couldn't stop yourself from crawling underneath the body of water and soil; closer to the chilled grass and warm under earth. The person lying in the water made a shrill noise, grabbing your shoulder and promptly putting a hand over your eyes. Without a fight you took the forced sleep.

Bright sunlight and the buzzing of cicadas wasn't what woke you up; no, it was the irking stare that refused to let up. The feeling was uncomfortable, and made your heartbeat increase immediately.

Achingly, each back muscle pained like crazy from sleeping on the hard ground. Propping yourself up, each movement was less painful as before. You expected an absolute rush of anguish, but instead were met with sticky pieces of large seaweed pressed over each cut and bruise. Your witless brawl with the river god last night was most certainly painful to remember.

"Hey, is anybody there?" You groggily said, wiping the crust from your eyes.

The water rippled in response. A frog croaked. The cicadas continued to hum.

It appeared your savior was not keen on showing themselves.

"Helloooo?"

Still nothing. You began to take your recovery slowly, lifting each leg with care. Getting off the ground took several minutes. The bruises and cuts unfortunately still making themselves known. Though, it could have been dearly worse. That most charming savior from the night prior was a gigantic help.

Beginning to walk away, you removed the soupy texture and seagrass off of yourself. You whined slightly with disgust at each nasty wound from underneath. Yeah, those would certainly require a trip to the apothecary.

Limping towards the village in the distance, you searched for the local quack.

"Thank you sir!"

"Now have a great day kid!" The man called after you. Not turning around, you waved your left hand, and took a bite out of one of the apples in the other.

Surely a water spirit would enjoy fruits and fish, wouldn't it?

You came to the conclusion that the mysterious helper of the night was a water spirit, purely out of great intuition. Well, if intuition counted as the local apothecary telling you as much. You suspected that the savior must have been some sort of mythical being, considering the strange residue that was plastered over each wound.