A Quiet Day in the Service Club

A few days passed after that. The Planning Committee didn't have a meeting on one day in particular due to a lack of material to discuss, so I ended up heading back to spend time in the Service Club that day after school. It had been a long time since I'd been in that clubroom. What with the Planning Committee meetings, the extra work, and Miura dragging me around wherever she pleased, making time for drinking tea and listening to Yuigahama talk endlessly for hours on end was something I was ready to go without. Speaking of which, I wondered what she'd been up to the whole time. I'd practically left her alone when I joined the Planning Committee and stopped visiting the clubroom, even more so than Yukinoshita who still went out of her way to visit her every now and then.

The two of them were already inside and chatting together when I opened the door as if nothing had changed at all. Their conversation stopped when I entered, and Yuigahama stood up from her chair and jabbed a finger at me as I stood in the doorway.

"Ah! Hikki! You're late!"

"...Late for what?"

"It's our precious day off, obviously! We finally have a chance to spend time together in the clubroom again!"

"That doesn't sound important enough to be celebrating."

"Because you don't realise how important it is! That's why you're late, you idiot! Stupid Hikki! Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!"

"Please, Yuigahama-san, there is no need to resort to such vulgar accusations. It is merely clear Hikigaya-kun does not consider us to be important to his life in any way whatsoever. We are simply witnessing his true intentions to abandon us at the first opportunity finally revealing themselves at last."

"H-Hikki, is that true...? Was our entire friendship a lie...? All that time in the clubroom together, just so you can cast us away when you get the chance...?"

"Very funny, guys. Just the warm welcome I was hoping for."

Yuigahama laughed, and even Yukinoshita couldn't help but let out a small chuckle. It seemed like my worries were misplaced. Nothing had really changed. Even when we couldn't find the time to spend together, there didn't seem to be anything different in how well we got along with each other when we finally did. I couldn't tell if I should've been relieved or not. On one hand, it was reassuring to know our 'friendship', or whatever you wanted to call it, still remained the same even when we were apart. But, on the other hand...

"Hikki, is something wrong? You look like you've been thinking about something for a while now."

My eyes shifted from the two of them to the floor below. My relationship with Yukinoshita had not changed the entire time the three of us had been apart. We were still friends, sure, but we were only friends. And I wasn't getting the inclination that Yukinoshita was worried about much more.

"It's... nothing."

"Oh yeah! You know, you and Yumiko seem really close now! When I first saw the two of you walking to school together I was like, wait, did you manage to hypnotise her or something?! There's no way she'd hang out with someone like you!"

"I don't know what you're talking about. Also, don't casually imply I can only befriend people against their will. I'd like you to know I haven't hypnotised either of you, thank you very much."

"Please do not try to boast about that. That is a low bar to be proud of, Hikigaya-kun."

"Don't try to play dumb with me! I've heard all sorts of rumours about the two of you! Some say the two of you are walking home together at the same time, some say you two are going out, and some even say the two of you have... a-already... k-k-k-k-kissed!. That's forbidden, Hikki! You hear that?! Forbidden!"