Rehearsals

I was walking down the hallway after school the next day when someone suddenly slid open the classroom door beside me, yanked me inside, pushed me against the wall, and pressed their hand against my mouth as I tried to yelp in surprise. That was when I realised it was Miura standing in front of me, and she had an intense look in her eyes that said she might've killed me then and there if I tried to make a sound. It was quiet for a moment, until I heard the sound of footsteps making their way down the stairs from the opposite end of the hallway.

"Yoo, Yu-mi-ko! Where you goin'?! We just wanted to see your performance, man!"

"Hehehe! You had some nice acting, Miura-san! I liked the way you played the dinosaur! You really fit the character! Hehehe!"

"Y-You did a great dinosaur impression, M-M-Miura. N-No surprise, when you're already k-kind of a d-d-d-dinosaur yourself."

I quickly realised what she had in mind. We waited for them to pass, and we didn't move an inch until we could hear them walking down the staircase next to the classroom we were in to the ground floor below. It was only then that Miura released her grip on me and breathed a sigh of relief. I would've done the same, but I was too busy trying to get air into my lungs after she'd almost suffocated me by pinning me against the wall like that.

"You could've... *gasp*... given me... *gasp*... a warning..." I said through desperate breaths.

"Sorry. I didn't have much time to explain."

"So, what? They wanted to see your rehearsal?"

"Over my dead body! You have no idea how annoying they were, you know. I was just practicing by myself and then, like, BAM, all of a sudden they're barging into the room asking to get front row seats to my play. I told them to get lost because I wanted to practice in peace, and they were distracting me, but they were all like 'C'mon, Yu-mi-ko! Don't be a downer! You make some great dinosaur sounds, man!' and all that. Like, yeah, I'm not buying it. I know the only reason you walked in was to make fun of me, just like last time. You don't have to try to hide it."

"...You were making dinosaur sounds?"

"S-Shut up! It's in the script, okay?!"

I tried to hide a smirk and promptly dodged a swift kick to the shin, which irritated her even more. I was finally getting used to dealing with Miura by now.

"So? What are you going to do now?" I asked.

"Go home, probably. I don't have the energy to practice anymore after that."

"You're really committed to this performance, aren't you?"

"Of course, idiot. It's really important to me."

"I don't get it. It's just a play, isn't it? Why did you even volunteer for it in the first place?"

"Look, I told you. it's... a long story."

"That you're not going to tell me?"

"...That I might tell you some other time. Besides, we've got more important things to worry about. Those three could be coming back any moment now when they realise I'm not on the bottom floor."

"I hope you have a plan then."

"Let's go around the back exit. They won't be expecting us there. After that, I better see you at the assembly hall tomorrow for the festival setup!"

"More work? Give me a break..."

"No complaints!"

We went home right after, and I steeled myself for yet another busy day.