Prologue

The sun burns in the western sky. The flying cranes are a burden. The wind scatters the fallen leaves here and there. One leaf that escapes the wind's afflict falls on her head. She is unaffected. With a hollow expression, she stares at the ever-calm Kandy lake. Sick of crying, sick of asking, sick of explaining, and sick of expecting. Tired of people and objects. An inexplicable feeling of emptiness! Depression; the worst predator ever.

"It'll only take a few seconds! Then it'll be over", she whispers to herself. Then she takes a few steps towards the lake. Within seconds, her feet feel its cold touch. Then her eyes meet with the eyes of her reflection in water.

"Come here! Hurry! This world is not as lonely as your world", says her own voice. Then it starts whirling around her. She smiles. Now she is about to go under the surface, but suddenly, a warm, solid grip holds her. She struggles to escape but the grasp is too strong. Then, it drags her out of the lake and takes her to the shore. She notices what grabs her: two strong, fair hands. Then, she looks up and notices a tall man soaked from waist to feet, all thanks to her. He looks tired and shocked. She is still stuck in his arms.

"What in the name of God are you doing?", shouts the man.

"That's what I should ask you", she yells back.

"I don't know your story but isn't this too dramatic? How old are you? Dying? Resigning before getting fired? Nonsense!", he says.

"Just get lost!", she screams. "Who are you to meddle in my business? What do you know?"

"Do you think this will solve everything? Do you think people will remember you if you do this? That will never happen. They'll move on without you. Do you think that the world will stop? Will the sun stop rising?", he asks.

"That's why I'm doing this. The world can rotate as much as it wants. People can enjoy life as much as they want. I quit because I don't want to. I'm bored. I have no reason to live", she says, stubbornly. Her messy hair is dancing around her pale face. Her eyes are not even teary. They are burning like a forest fire.

"Then, find one! Find a reason to live!", he says. He looks serious. She looks at his eyes and then sighs.

"I can't find any!", she says.

"Then, I'll give you one", he says. She listens.

"Who made you this way. Your parents? Friends? A lover? Maybe the almighty? Whoever it is, it doesn't matter. Just live and prove them wrong. Just live because your existence itself is a challenge to them", he finishes. She keeps staring at him. Her eyes are now calm.

"I won't do it. Let go of me!", she says. He eases off the grasp, doubtfully. She stays still.

"Tell me where you live. I'll take you home", he says.

"No need", she says. "Don't overreact. I won't die...... at least for now."

"Your clothes are all wet", he says. Then, he looks around. He is wet too but his shirt is dry. Without a moment's hesitation, he takes it off. She keeps staring at him with widened eyes.

"Here! Cover yourself with this and go home." He gives her the shirt. It has the strong scent of Dior Sauvage perfume.

"Don't do this ever again. You are being a nuisance to those who wish to live in peace", he says. She turns back and goes on her own way. He keeps standing and looking at her till she disappears.

*****************************************************

Even after two years, Grace could not forget this memory; the memory of her suicidal attempt and a man saving her. Though she was not in her right mind, she had kept the man in her long-term memory. When her mind settled down, she even tried to find him. He was not a young boy but a middle-aged man. Apparently, he had a career too. She could not forget the facial expressions he had, and the words he uttered. Even his shirt was still with her. It still had the Dior Sauvage scent too. Whenever she saw strangers, she looked at them, carefully. Unfortunately, she could not find him. It seemed as if he appeared out of nowhere just to save her, and then disappeared. She could have died that day, but by virtue of his interference she was still alive. The suicidal attempt was forever a secret, so was the man.