Chapter 19

The sun had returned with the brilliance assured at every dawn. The ocean was stirred up. The gulfs were awakened. Cozy daylight crept into the room through every tiny space. Nelith woke up to the glow accompanied by the morning orchestra of the beach. He looked at Grace. She was still asleep. Her arms were wrapped around a pillow. A comfortable, white duet cover laid over her. He planted a gentle kiss on her forehead. Then, she opened her eyes idly and smiled. He smiled back. It was time to bid farewell to their la-la land.

They left the hotel at seven. It was one busy Monday morning- special to some and nothing special to some. They were on their way back, though none of them wanted to go back. They knew that the three hours ahead would pass in the blink of an eye. As now they were going back, they were slowly coming back to their senses. As cheating itself is irresponsible, cheaters cannot act responsibly. Nelith knew that ever since he met Grace, he had been reckless. Seeing her in secret- taking the advantage of her naivety and inexperience- wasting her time- all those were pardonable... compared to spending a night with her. He had gone insane. He was wondering whether he was trying to win a prize for being preposterous. Sitting next to him, she was having breakfast while feeding him. Every time she gave him a bite he smiled at her.

"You look sad even when you smile", she said. Last night she could not fall asleep till dawn, but he was soundly asleep. Thus, she kept studying his face. She knew that he was still thinking of the dead child, though he did not bring it up often. She did not know what parental love was. She had never seen her father worrying about her. Thus, she did not know that parents could cry over their children. He looked real when he was asleep. Unlike when he was awake, he looked sad. As now she had seen his tears, whatever he did, looked sad to her

"Who looks sad when smiling?", he laughed. She sighed.

"You! You look so sad. You look sad when you smile. You look sad when you eat. You look sad when you sleep. Whatever you do, whatever you say you look sad. Even now you look sad. Are you still very sad when you remember him?", she asked.

"Yes....I'm sad, but I'm not as sad as I used to be.", he said. "I feel strange when I'm with you. I don't know how to word it but it's like I'm bound but free, grounded but flying, and..... solemn but laughing. I think you perform miracles."

"Then just throw everything away and come to me!", said Grace. "I will make you completely free and let you laugh wholeheartedly."

"Is that a proposal? Did I just get a proposal from you?", he asked. She smiled.

"As soon as you finish the exams I'll ask for divorce. It'll affect you if I do it now. I'll start persuading her, slowly", he said., Like the way he had left his family for Akshi long ago, now he was planning to leave her for Grace. He knew that Akshi will not leave them alone. She will fight with all her might. She will go to any length to hurt Grace.

Conversely, Grace was wondering what her father would do when he gets to know about their affair. He would never approve of it. Hence, they'll need a proper plan. They were lost in such thoughts for a few minutes thus, Nelith wanted to break the silence.

"It's seven-thirty now! We'll be there by ten-thirty", he said. He was wearing the watch she had bought for him. This morning, she put it on his wrist by herself. Then she threw away the watch he used to wear. Akshi had bought it for his last birthday.

"I guess you like the watch", she said. He smiled.

"Yes! It looks very stylish! You have a killer fashion sense", he said.

"Aren't you going to give me anything in return?", she asked.

"What do you want?", he asked.

"Sing for me", she requested.