Chapter Eighteen

"We have a green light. I made a few calls around and they all agree that an anonymous tip about his location is feasible enough that if they argue that it was illegal we can fight it. Captain was brought into the loop and he agreed to give it a green light and got a warrant issued to search the location. I want you both to hunker down and stay out of the lime light as it were while we go in. If that dot moves at all I want you to call me. Are we clear on this?"
"I want to be there when this bastard is cuffed."
"Absolutely not. If you are there they will try to get the search thrown out and it will jeopardize the whole case. You are the victim Jayni. You may not view yourself as such but it doesn't change the fact that is what you are. As his victim I don't want you anywhere near this. We will notify you on what happens but I need your word you won't try to interfere with this."
"Fine! I won't get anywhere near it. I will call if the dot moves and you better hold your end up about contacting me with what happens."
"Jayni you have my absolute word that I will personally call you with what we find out. We will get this bastard and put him away."
   With a nod on both sides, the detective left the house leaving them standing there watching as he left in a patrol car. Tension filled the house as everyone stood watching the empty space that the detective had left. A throat cleared before anyone spoke, filling the deafening silence that had ensued.
"I'm not sure about anyone else but I'm starving so how about we whip something up to eat?"
"I'm not hungry but you guys should eat. I'm going back up and watching to make sure that the dot does not move at all."
"Jayni you need to eat. Starving yourself won't help them find him. You go on up with Wrath and I will bring food up to you both when it's ready."
"OK I guess. I will see you when you bring food up. Let's go Wrath I don't want to miss a thing if he moves."
   Wrath nodded to him as he followed her up the stairs. He shook his head silently as he went to the kitchen to dig around for something to make the small army still inhabiting his house. It made him wonder what he would do when he no longer had the seven men in his life to cause such chaos. The startling realization hit that he was genuinely attached to the men that had turned his life upside down and didn't want to lose them. He eyed Pride and Gluttony as they moved around doing little things in the kitchen to help prepare the meal.
"What happens to you guys when you break your curse?"
"We don't know what will happen. We have been like this so long I guess we never put much thought into it. Why do you ask?"
"Well if you have been here for so long then would you just disappear or would you be allowed to live a normal life?"
"Something bothering you boss man?"
"I guess I'm so used to having you around that I don't know what I will do when you aren't around anymore."
"Aww guys did you hear that? Boss man is attached to us! Awe buddy we love you to."
"Lust so help me if you start trying to dry hump my leg I will take it all back and throw you back out of the kitchen."
"Fine fine no dry humping got it. Oo this looks good. Let's make this."
   With a resignated sigh, he accepted the items held out to him and began to cook the various foods. Once everything was finished he made 3 plates up before anyone could scarf it all down, carefully balancing them as he walked up to the office. He tapped the door with his foot to get their attention. Wrath took plates from him after opening the door, setting one in front of Jayni and motioning for her to eat. Nodding to him, he left the room with his plate in hand leaving them alone. He took the open chair, taking a few bites silently waiting to make sure she was going to eat as she stared at the computer screen.
   They sat in silence as they ate, watching the blinking dot on the screen for what felt like hours. The plates were long since set aside and he had placed her in his lap as they sat in silence. He willed her to fall asleep as he felt the tension leaving her body as she began to droop against him further and further. The shrill trill of the phone ringing startled her into a standing position as she snatched the phone up to answer.
"Hello?"
"Jayni we got him. He's being booked as we speak and will be taken before a judge for a preliminary hearing tonight as an emergency arraignment based of the charges and there is enough evidence that the DA thinks we will be able to get him on all charges."
"Thank God."
   She sank down with relief as she thanked the detective and hung up. He held onto her as she sobbed with relief.