Chapter 3

A couple days went by. Kaitlyn had been resting and recovering. She was going to be discharged soon and her family was figuring out who she was going to live with.

"She can stay me and Tom." Rebecca said. "We have a guest room she can use and the kids love to meet her."

"Shouldn't she live with us." Her mother said.

"You guys are treating me like a child." Kaitlyn said. "I'm 24. I can live on my own."

"Sweetheart, you just went through something traumatic." Her father said. "You don't need to be alone right now."

"You're going to come live with me." Drew said, looking at Kaitlyn. "I have room in my apartment. And it isn't up for discussion." Kaitlyn sighed. "I'm going to go see when you can be discharged." Drew said before walking out of the room. He came back with Topher and TC.

"Hi Kaitlyn." TC greeted.

"We're just going to do a quick exam and we'll see about getting you out of here."

"Is it ok if we examine you?" Topher asked.

Kaitlyn nodded. "I'm sorry about freaking out on you guys the other day." She said.

"You have no need to apologize." Topher said. "We know you've been through a lot and there was a lot going on. We understand." Kaitlyn nodded, again.

A little bit later, Kaitlyn was getting ready to leave the hospital. She was changing out of her hospital gown and into new clothes. The rest of her family were waiting outside the room.

"Take care of her, Drew." His mother said.

"Of course." Drew said. "You know I will."

Kaitlyn walked out of the room. She said goodbye to her parents and sister.

"Ready to go?" Drew asked. Kaitlyn nodded. "Then, let's go." Drew said. Kaitlyn followed her brother outside and got into his truck. "Do you want to stop for dinner somewhere before heading home?" Drew asked as he drove out of the hospital parking lot.

"I don't care." Kaitlyn said, looking out the window.

A few minutes later, the two were in a diner, eating.

"So, where's Rick?" Kaitlyn asked.

"He's overseas right now." Drew replied.

"Where?" Kaitlyn asked.

"Afghanistan." Drew answered.

"How is he?" Kaitlyn asked.

"He's good." Drew said. "We email and FaceTime."

"Does he know?" Kaitlyn asked. "About me."

"Yes." Drew said. "I emailed him the other day." Kaitlyn nodded. The rest of their dinner was eaten in silence.

After they finished eating, they headed home.

"I know you don't have much at the moment." Drew said. "But, we can go to the store tomorrow and get whatever you need. I took a couple days off, so I could help you get settled in." Kaitlyn nodded. "You can use the shower, if want." Drew said.

"I just want to go to bed." Kaitlyn said.

"Alright. That's fine." Drew said. "The bedrooms are down the hall." Drew said. "The first bedroom is mine. You can have the other one. Do you need sleepwear?" Kaitlyn nodded. "I'll grab you some." Drew said. Kaitlyn went to the bedroom.

A little bit later, Drew was in the living room, when he heard Kaitlyn. He rushed to her room. It looked like she was having a nightmare.

"Kaitlyn." He said, gently shaking her. "Kaitlyn, wake up." Kaitlyn shot up in bed. "Hey, it's ok." Drew assured her. "You're ok."

"What happened?" Kaitlyn asked.

"It looked like you were having a nightmare." Drew said. "Are you ok." Kaitlyn nodded. Drew stood up and started to walk out of the room, but Kaitlyn stopped him.

"I don't want to be alone." She said.

"Ok." Drew said. "Do you want to come watch tv with me?" Kaitlyn just stood up and walked into the living room.

"Hey." Drew said, following her. "Look at me." Kaitlyn looked up at her brother. "It's going to be ok." Drew assured his sister. "I'm going to help you through this."

"I glad I have you with me." Kaitlyn said as she hugged her brother.

"Me too." Drew said as he hugged Kaitlyn back. "I'm not going anywhere."

The two of them sat on the couch. Kaitlyn leaned against Drew and he put his arm around her. He stroked her hair.

After a little bit, Drew noticed that Kaitlyn had fallen back asleep. He turned the tv off, picked Kaitlyn up, and went to his room. Drew gently laid Kaitlyn in his bed, trying not to wake her. He wanted to be closer to her, in case she had another nightmare. He changed into sleepwear and got into bed, pulling the covers over Kaitlyn and himself and going to sleep.