Chapter 6

A little bit later, Drew and Kaitlyn were just hanging out. It was a little slow at the moment.

"Come on." Drew said. "There's something I want to show you."

"What?" Kaitlyn asked.

"You'll see." Drew said. "Hey Paul. Krista. Come with me for a moment." They walked outside to see a van.

"What are we doing?" Paul asked.

"Whenever an old person dies in a nursing, only an MD can declare them dead." Drew explained.

"I can't believe we have to do this."

"I did it all last year." Drew said. "Climb in and check their pulse. It takes two minutes." They all stood there. Kaitlyn started towards the van, but the Drew pulled her back. "Let's go." Drew said to Krista and Paul. "Before we get busy again."

"I'll do it." Paul said, climbing into the van.

As he checked the person's pulse, Kenny, who was in the van, scared Paul. Drew closed the van door, so Paul couldn't get out. A bunch of people started laughing.

"You can open it." Drew said to Krista. Krista opened the door and Paul fell out.

"What was that?" He asked.

"That would be our good friend, Kenny." Drew said. "Let's go."

The interns followed behind Drew. They went to a trauma room where there was a patient and crash cart. Kaitlyn was guessing the patient was dead and that they were going to practice using the defibrillator.

"So, is TC really gone?" Kaitlyn asked. By now, everyone had heard that Ragosa had fired TC.

"I don't know. I don't want to think about it." Drew said, handing Kaitlyn the paddles. "Come on. Let's do this before someone walks in on us, please."

Kaitlyn started the defibrillator and putting the paddles on the dead man. "Clear." She said before shocking the dead man, which caused him to jerk. The other two interns gasped.

"Trust me. You don't want your first time being on someone who really needs it." Drew said. "Krista."

Kaitlyn handed the paddles to Krista. She did the same thing Kaitlyn did.

"Paul, you're up." Drew said.

"So I hear you fight mixed martial arts." Krista said to Drew. "I love watching that."

"Yeah. I do it when I can. It's a fun hobby." Drew said. "Paul, this guy's really dead, so hit him."

"We didn't do things like this at Columbia." Paul said.

"Yeah, well, not all of us could afford to go to the fancy med schools." Kaitlyn said.

"I went to U.S.H." Drew said.

"Is that in the Caribbean?"

"No. That'd be the Uniformed Services Hospital. It's for military." Drew explained. "I was a medic. I was good at it, so the army put me through med school."

"How long do you have to serve to pay 'em back?" Krista asked.

"I owe them 10 years, but I'm in it for life." Drew said. "No debt. I get to be a surgeon."

"Sweet deal." Krista said.

"Paul, come on." Drew said. "Now."

"Clear." Paul said. The man jerked and Paul bumped into Krista.

"Whoa! Watch it!" Krista said.

"Sorry." Paul said. TC came into the room.

"Drew. Kaitlyn. With me." He said. They followed him to another trauma room.

"I screwed up, T. I got a simple G.S.W. and I nearly killed the guy." Drew said. "I've seen a million bullet wounds. I should've known."

"You've seen battlefield wounds, not civilian." Kaitlyn said. "They're different."

"Kaitlyn's right." TC said. "You spent six months as a war medic. That's not nearly long enough to be a surgeon."

"To make matters worse." Drew said. "Jordan steps in and makes me look like a punk."

"You can't compare yourself to her." TC said. "Jordan spent four years in residency in a Baltimore shooting gallery. That's worse than being in Fallujah. Jordan's the one I'd trust with my life." Drew just nodded. They continued to help TC with the patient.

Later that morning, Drew and Kaitlyn were out at the tailgate. Drew was hitting a punching bag while Kaitlyn was holding it steady.

"You still pissed at me?" Drew asked.

"I've gotten over it." Kaitlyn said.

"Hey guys." TC greeted, coming up to them.

"Hey." Drew said.

"How was your first night, Kaitlyn?" TC asked.

"Interesting." Kaitlyn answered.

"Well, that's how most nights are." TC said.

"You know that new intern Krista?" Drew asked. "Totally into me."

"Yeah?" TC asked.

"I'm not gonna do anything about it, though. I mean, not that I wouldn't want to. She's pretty hot, right? I'd love to hit that." Kaitlyn snorted at what Drew was saying.

"Drew." TC said.

"What?" Drew asked.

"No one cares that you're gay." TC said.

"I'm not gay." Drew said.

"Okay. Sorry I brought it up." TC said. "But, you don't have to pretend with me if, you are pretending."

"You haven't come out yet?" Kaitlyn asked.

"Kaitlyn!" Drew said. "Well, you haven't either."

"I've been a hostage In Afghanistan for years. I have a good excuse." Kaitlyn said. "And I'm not with anyone. You have a boyfriend."

"Maybe you should think about coming out." TC suggested.

"No way. The second I come out, I am the gay guy. How many gay guys were in your ranger unit?" Drew asked. TC was quiet. "Exactly." Drew said. "I love the Army, T and I will not risk losing that for anything. Coming out is not an option."

"Wow." Kaitlyn said. "That is so gay." Drew just looked at her and TC chuckled.

"You guys want to go get breakfast?" TC asked.

"Sounds good." Kaitlyn said.