Chapter 2

Stepping out of her cab, Oishi enters the huge building which has now eventually become her second home. But today her nerves are failing while she is setting foot in the edifice. It is like the feeling of deja-vu. Her stupid anxiety is kicking in her stomach just like the first time. It was 3years ago, yet it feels like yesterday. She still remembers the uneasiness that she felt upon hearing the news of her becoming the assistant officer of the shrewd officer Reyansh as he has always been famous for his sharp, clever, relentless attitude.

And today is no different. A part of her knows it's because of the horrible news she is going to share with her superior. It was even difficult for her to believe even after witnessing the sight herself. Thus she has no idea how he is going to take the dreadful account.

Sighing audibly, she increases her pace and ascends the stairs. The building is three-storeyed and her office is on the top floor along with that of her boss. She never uses the elevator. She believes that stairs are more useful because they actually help you to maintain your fitness. The clicking sound of her own boots is doing nothing to help her lessen her apprehension. Reaching the top floor, she halts in her step for a moment to take a long breath. The hypnotizing familiar sight of the attractive man greets her. His back is towards her while he is making caffeine at the percolator. Not a second later, he turns back and his eyes meet hers.

The same tall and imposing presence and the same cold eyes betray no emotion. The cap he has on does nothing to hide his handsome, chiseled face and for a moment, she is at the loss of words.

"Are you going to stand there forever or tell me the front-page news for which you have come such a long way?"

The somber expression on his face and the dry humour in his voice startles her and she comes back face to face with the reality countless times.

How pathetic she can be to hope of getting noticed by the emotionless man for once! Everybody knows the man is incapable of any passion or sentiment. Sometimes she feels she is nothing but a hopeless romantic fool.

Gulping the big lump in her throat, Oishi takes a deep breath before opening her mouth. Throwing a nervous laugh at him, she mutters in a low voice,

"Can we move to your cabin before resuming the talk? And trust me, you don't want me to spill the beans here in the corridor."

Looking around him at once, Reyansh realizes that there are enough people to invade his privacy. Without wasting a minute he turns again and marches towards his cabin while Oishi follows him quietly. Upon entering his office, he speaks up loudly, "Now cut the crap and go on. I don't have time for your useless excuses."

Although his rude words pinch her heart once again, she manages to shake the dejection for his sake now. With a slightly trembling voice, she continues, "I won't take your much time. I have come to inform you that we have found two dead bodies at the side of the highway this morning. Rishav and I were called for the primary investigation as you were out of town then. But now your presence is required there."

Reyansh can't shake the feeling of uneasiness even after hearing the news. Something seems to be very wrong but he doesn't get it. Leaving his inner turmoil behind, he observes the girl in front of him. It is not the first time he is noticing her but she never looks so pale as today. He urges her to continue and she seems to have followed his order as she resumes, "I am sorry to inform you but one of the dead body is of..er..R..reshma, your s..sister. Aakash sir has asked us to inform you and you need to go there to identify the b.."

"Shut up Oishi. If you utter one more nonsense word, I swear I will kill you with my bare hand. Do you even know what you are saying? How dare you?"

The booming voice of the senior officer shakes her entire existence while she tries to maintain her composure. Gritting her teeth, she forces her next words, "Sir I am just saying the truth. Everyone knows her as your sister so it was not difficult to recognize at once. Please try to control yourself. I know how you are feeling but I can assure you it is not any joke. Please come with me. Aakash sir has asked for your presence as soon as possible."

"Wait for me downstairs. I need a few minutes to myself."

He throws his words at her leaving no space for argument and she takes it as her cue to leave him alone. She knows this piece of information is enough to crumble his heart. Nobody deserves such cruelty of fate. It is better to leave him alone for a few minutes so that he can compose himself. She may always be there to support him but she knows very well that he doesn't need her comfort. Not that he ever needed before. Without wasting a single moment in the confined space of the four walls, she exits and sticks to his order.

.

.

.

To be continued...