Chapter 3

"...one of the most successful operations of the police of this city. Those kidnapped children are saved by our special crime branch. Investigation of the case started hardly a couple of months ago but it is very fortunate of us that in such a short time such a big criminal gang is exposed. Parents are conveying their gratitude to our police department for saving their children from the clutches of those abductors. Reyansh Sinha who was leading the operation will be honoured by our Prime Minister. His enormous effort and dedication are appreciated by the public. They expect a better world can be made by such honest and devoted police officers. Our news reporter, Ayushman Bhaumik, has tried to contact the head officer of the branch, Aakash Ganguly but he is unreachable now. We hope we will be able to...."

The article goes on but Oishi stops reading it. Her friend, Shweta has sent the link of the article to her. She even attached a congratulatory message along with it for the success of the team. Only if she knew about the situation they are in, she would have considered twice before congratulating her. It is not only about Reyansh's personal grief but also about the big failure of the team. The twin sister of the leading officer has been found murdered. It will snatch all the reputation of the team instantly and put a big question mark on the safety and security provided by the police department. If the police can't provide enough security to their family, what about the general people? Who will guarantee their safety? All of these questions will be swarmed among the public if the recent piece of news leaks once. Not to mention the storm within Reyansh. He may not break down in front of everyone, but she knows him well enough to understand that the incident has turned his life upside down. He needs a moment to himself to compose himself before starting the investigation.

The urgent blare of the car's horn draws her attention back to the officer's tall figure and she flinches slightly before joining him in his personal vehicle. He waits impatiently for her instructions and once he gets it, he starts the car abruptly. Oishi never likes rough driving as it sends her towards the edge due to her past experiences. But she doesn't dare to utter a single word looking at his stone-cold emotionless face. She doesn't know what to say. So she clutches her seat with one hand while her other hand is on the window and she sits there stiffly like a statue. She doesn't even get to understand how he manages to reach the distance of 40 minutes within 20 minutes without breaking a single traffic signal.
Reaching the crime spot, he moves out of the car without even caring for any other object. Oishi simply stays there for a few minutes to catch her lost breath. After a few minutes, she follows the route and finds him sitting like a statue beside the girl who is lying lifelessly in a pool of blood. Her clothes are torn. Dark bruises on her face and other visible parts of her body clearly indicate that she was raped before the murder. Just a few meters away, there is another dead body, a body of a man. A bike is found from the ditch, which recommends that the goons have shoved the bike at the time of crime into a nearby ditch. It seems that the murder was based on some revenge or something. The rage in the criminals is proved once again as they killed the man by shooting him straight on his head. Beside him, a bag full of clothes is lying untouched. So it was not a case of theft or robbery.

Oishi has already been here just one hour ago but she has never felt this throbbing pain in her chest before. The mixture of horror and pain in the big man's face is unavoidable. Nobody has ever seen him like this, like a mess. Her chain of thoughts breaks with the sudden whispering noise nearby her ears.

"I can't imagine how hard it is for him to find the dead body of his twin sister in this condition."
Rishav utters these words lowly while looking at the sight in front of them. His words are true though. The pain is unimaginable when your motherless twin is found dead and it seems like she was fleeing with her lover before her death. To add to the list, the brutal rape that she had to endure before her death can create havoc in a brother's mind.

Reyansh looks like a wreck and you can't blame him. Since childhood, the twin siblings were inseparable. With the sudden death of their mother and the demanding unending duties of their father, they were like the backbone of each other. As they grew up, they might have lost their initial bonding, but they were quite close to each other. What strikes him most is his unawareness of her sister's whereabouts and affairs. He can't help but blame himself for being involved in his work so much that he neglected his sister.
Was he so bad of a brother that she didn't even bother to inform him regarding her personal life?
Did she forget their unwritten rule of not hiding any secret from each other?
Why was she running away from the place?
Was the man really her boyfriend?
All of these questions were swarming in his head and among them, the most important question was, who raped her and killed them and why? The case seems to be dependent on some previous rivalry. And if so, who are these persons?

.

.

.

To be continued...