Kira 2

I don't move for the longest time, I just stare at the blood as it soaks his clothes and the ground around us. My mind fixes on the blood and I'm brought back in time to that night. The night I got my aunt and uncle killed. I saw their blood on the bandit's sword after he killed them. I saw the light leave her eyes as she fell.

I feel myself go back even further, to when the bombs came for our city. I wasn't with my parents when our home was hit, that's why Ilived and they didn't. We found their bodies after it was over.

"Shelter..."

I snap back to the present as Simeon's voice enters my mind. "Shelter." he says again, his voice more certain this time, but barely loud enough to hear over the roaring of the blood in my ears.

The color is already draining from his face, and I can feel the muscles in his back that were tense before start to loosen up. I stare at him, "Simeon, don't go, you're fine.."

He cuts me off and lifts his hand, pointing to the left, where a small concrete building is. His hand drops back to his side and he breathes loudly with the effort. "Shelter..." he says one more time before his eyes start to droop and his head tilts to the side.

"No,no, no..." I grab onto his hair and pull him back up, shaking him roughly until his eyes open again, "No, you can't go, Simeon."

I make out the forming of a small grin on his paling face, "Don't worry 'bout me, I'm fine. You need to go to safety 'til a squad can come get you..." his voice trails off again and I slap his face. "You can't go back to the bunker, in case we're being followed."

My lip quivers slightly as I realize his words. We were shot at, which means someone is out here. Watching us. If we go back we'll lead them to the bunker. Is this Davids attacking us? Did Daren and Blake know? Is that why they were extra stressed? They knew about something we didn't and they didn't warn us. And now Simeon's hurt and I can't help him.

I can't help him.

I let the words sink in as I stroke his hair and rock on my knees. He's gonna die. The only person that I let in since my parents died is leaving me all alone. I choke back a sob and grab onto his face, "Simeon, you aren't dying on me, now, do you hear me?"

His eyelids flutter, "Go. Before he comes back."

The shooter. Whoever it was is still here. I stand up and pull my gun out. He shot Simeon.

I turn back to the motel building and see the man, his hands in the air, standing, watching me. Without a moments hesitation I pull the trigger.

~

The pistol falls out of my hand. My chest feels emptier than it ever has. I turn away from the motel and back to Simeon, who has his ears covered on the ground, his eyes turned away from me.

It takes me a second to find my voice, and when I do, it's weak and quiet, "I'm not leaving you."

~

I drag him to the building. He screams the whole way, his leg rubbing against the rocky ground. I feel as if a tiny piece of my heart is being ripped out of my chest each time he cries out. I can't stand this. But I can't leave him.

I kick open the rusted over door and step inside. The inside of the building looks like an old produce store. The floors are a sleek white tile and there are metal shelves lining the entire tiny room. Canned vegetables and rotting baked goods sit on the shelves.