Chapter 3

Author's Note::
I know I said I would update only on Fridays, but I've been thinking about this a lot, and I'm pretty sure I want to update today. It's kind of a filler chapter, but I felt the need to update. Lol enjoy 😊😊
Recap
"Do I go back to Alex? Do I stay or do I go? Do I really love him?"
Or was this all a façade?
End of Recap
*Foster's POV*
I grabbed a tissue from the glove box and wiped my tear stained face and eyes. Did I really not love Alex? I honestly believed when we got married that I loved him. But looking back, now, I realize there were things that Alex did to show his love for me that I did not reciprocate. The 5 months that I had been in Afghanistan, for classified military work, Alex called me every day, but I would always find an excuse to end the call, promising I would call back. I never called back. Every day for 5 months, I avoided his calls, his texts, his letters. When I would finally answer the call, the first thing out of Alex's mouth was 'did you get my letter?!' And of course, I would respond with 'no, but give it a few more days.' I never felt guilt for not talking to him long, or for not wanting to see him those 5 months I was away. But when I returned, I had to muster up all the joy I had in my body and make it look like I was actually happy to see him.
"Wow, looking back, I hated being with him," I said aloud to no one in particular, "But now, I feel like I won't be able to live with myself, if he dies," I blew my nose, started the car, and drove back toward the hospital.
-----------
I've been in the hospital, waiting to talk to Alex's doctor for well over an hour now. I was finally getting comfortable on the old cushioned chair, when the doctor walked into the lobby and looked at me straight in the eye with a look of sympathy.
"Foster, you left. Did you eat, sleep?" The doctor asked me about my well being.
"No, I just needed time to myself. Update me on his condition," I demanded of him. He just looked at me with those sympathetic eyes and sniffed.
"Foster, it is quite unlikely that Alex will wake up. His body is no longer responding to the treatment. We are doing everything we can," he patted my shoulder and walked away. I sat there. I didn't cry, I didn't jump for joy. I just sat there.