Chapter 1: Present Day

*Foster's POV*
RING, RING, RING! RING, RING, RING!
I jump up out of bed, and am immediately ready for action, searching for the gun I usually keep by my bed. My breathing is fast and short, beginning stages of hyperventilation. I stand up in a natural pose, realizing the noise is my alarm clock, notifying me it is 5 o'clock, not the bell from my cabin in Afghanistan where I was stationed 5 months before.
"Dearest, it's 5 in the morning, what are you doing up?" Alex rubs the crust from the corners of his eyes, looking sleepily at me.
"I have to go to work. Go back to sleep, Alex." I lean over the bed, trying to slow my heart rate, and kiss Alex's forehead. I, then, turn around and head for the bathroom to shower before leaving for the 30 minute drive to work. I turn on the shower all the way to hot, and as I am getting undressed, I hear a loud thump from the bedroom. I grab the closest robe and run out of the bathroom, fearing the worst. "Alex? Alex, what's wrong? What happened?" I look around the room, looking for my partner. I finally find Alex on the floor beside the bed. "Oh my god!" I run over to Alex and kneel down beside him, putting my fingers under his jaw, looking for a pulse. His pulse faint, I jumped up, and dialed 911.
***
"But, doctor, what's wrong with him?" I begged for the Doctor seeing Alex to tell him what they found from the tests they ran. "You have to tell me!" I was so close to getting on my knees. I had to know what was going on with him. This was not the first time Alex had fainted. The doctor before told us he was malnourished. So we got him eating again and drinking more water, and not a single incident since. Now, I have no idea what is going on.
"Foster, I'm sorry. I really think telling you and Alex at the same time would be best." The doctor explained to me.
"Please, I have to be the one to tell him. Please." I was crying at this point. I hadn't gotten any sleep for the 2 days Alex had been in the hospital and in a medically induced coma and I just wanted to know what was wrong with my husband.
"Foster, I'm so sorry, but Alex has acute myelogenous leukemia." The doctor didn't dare look me in the eye as he told me this news.
"I'm sorry, I don't understand. Could you dumb this down for me? I don't speak doctor." I was genuinely confused. Big words seem to have that affect on me.
"Alex has cancer. An incurable cancer. He won't have long to live."