Chapter 4: Finding his princess

The little merman floated joyfully back to the castle.
"How was it?" his brothers asked together.
"Beautiful," he sighed.

All day, the brothers played in the castle waters.
"Catch!" cried the eldest, throwing a sponge ball.
But the little merman was too busy dreaming of dancing with his princess.

That night, and every night for a week, he swarm back to the cove and gazed longingly at the empty beach.
At dawn, he returned to his statue under the sea. "Will I ever see my princess again?" he asked. The marble girl just smiled.
"Why do you swim to the same place each night?" asked his brothers, one morning.

The little merman blushed and told them about his princess.

"I've seen that princess," said the eldest brother. "She lives in a grand palace by the sea."
"Really?" cried the excited little merman. "Show me!"
"That evening, all six mermen rose up through the sea and swam to the palace.

It stood proud and shiny at the water's edge. As the mermen watched, a geisha strode onto the balcony.
"It's my princess!" cried the little merman. "Do you think she's looking for me?"
"Don't be silly," said the eldest brother.

Day after day, the little merman returned to the palace. Each time, he swam a little closer.
When the princess went sailing, he swam behind her. He prayed for a storm, so he could save her again. But it never came.