Chapter 1: Bella, Bella

The endless ticking of the classroom clock went along in sync with my heartbeat. Momentarily I felt that everything was in place and the world was perfect... 

...until the ticking shifted and my OCD side had a small heart attack.  

"Anna"  

The tan elbow of my best friend, Scarlett, nudged me back into the start of our Italian class. We were waiting for our next substitute teacher to arrive, wondering how this one would take to our class.  

We were a mixture of tired adolescents, all different, but uniting in boredom.

I turned to Scarlett and wiggled my eyes pointedly in Alex's direction, understanding completely, she snorted and rolled her eyes. We smiled at each other, her straight white teeth, and mine caged with braces.  

Hearing the door behind us open, we swivelled around in our chairs to observe our next victim *cough* sub.  

My eyes widened at the sight, and I knew Scarlett would be a mirror image. A lean body dressed in jeans and a black t-shirt, carefully sculpted arms straining against the dark fabric, high cheek bones, a galaxy of freckles across his nose and his lips...god his lips! 

He was obviously hired for the day, in a rush. Probably not even out of uni. Maybe 19-20? Only three or four years older than us. 

Scarlett turned to me and I could already see the evil grin on her stunning face. "Veronica and Liesl, go" she softly clapped her hands together and we turned towards the desk, fully attentive.  

The sub started the roll call (Even his voice was sexy) 

"Jackson? 'Yo'  

Alex? 'Mmm' (Scarletts pinkie twitched) 

Anna? '...' 

Anna? '...'  

The class new our tricks, and they silently held back giggles as they waited.  

"Ok, not here then."  

"Max? 'Yepp' 

Aidan? 'Presente proffesori' 

Scarlett? '...' 

Scarlet? '...'  

Ok, another absent. And finally Joseph?  

"That's me!!"  

The sub looked up and noticed me, his forehead crinkling in light confusion. "Did you get called?" I smiled innocently "no? I'm Liesl" Across from me, Joseph chuckled and it almost broke my legendary poker face. Raising an eyebrow, the sub shrugged it off.  

Then his eyes flickered to Scarlett.

"Bella, Bella!" he whispered under his breath. Clearing his throat he smirked "I'm Tom, and you are?" as for Scarlett, she didn't even flinch. "Victoria. Victoria la quin" 'Tom' blanched and I let a small giggle escape my lips. "Victoria, the queen?" he asked, very much confused. Scarlett shook her head, long hair shimmering "no, no, la quin"  

At that no one could hold it in. the room erupted into laughter as the whole class watched as the subs face darkened. His expression was so ashamed and angry he suddenly became quite ugly. I suppose that's how it is when half of your dick was in your personality.

The rest of the lesson was spent in comfortable silence and the occasional giggle.
Then, as we filtered out of the class joseph and I watched as Scarlett 'accidently' dropped her books right in front of Alex. I turned back to Joe, grinning at him, and as we walked off we whistled the theme song of friends perfectly harmonised.

During lunch, Scarlett was doing some drama class related activity so Joe and I had a good chat. As the subject of socks petered out, I asked casually "so, do you think anything goings to happen with Alex and Scarlett?" shifting his brown eyes to where I know Alex and his crew sat he smiled "oh, I reckon." I laughed and then, was suddenly curious. "Is he a good guy?" only thinking of Scarlett I was worried for her "oh yeah, he's a top bloke" I smiled and went into deep thought, by now, joseph knew not to bother me when I went deep into my brain so he just contently observed our peers and picked at the grass.  

I hoped something would come out of the constant flirting between Scarlett and Alex; she needed someone other than me (although I was pretty amazing) and plus, she was reading waaay too many romance novels.  

I, too, hadn't been in anything for a while and, although I wouldn't admit it, mum and I had been binge watching old rom-coms most nights because when you're a sixteen year old surrounded by guy friends and asses you need a little romance to spice up your life...

"Joseph James Alexander! You did not just throw a tuft of grass at my face!"  

With dirt sliding down my cheeks, I tackled joe and all thoughts of love vanished from my head as this despicable human got his nose rubbed into the ground.