Sleepy Night

The evening had finally fallen, just as it always did. The sun was down, and all around town the monsters began to settle in for the night. With the darkness, comes the need for rest. And Sally was no exception.

The ragdoll sat on the edge of her bed, wearing a loose nightgown. She sighed, letting her hair down from the ponytail she had been wearing. Then she flipped back the covers and crawled into the sheets, turning off the light switch as she did. The darkness swallowed up the room around her, and she closed her eyes. Sally was calm. Relaxed. But... there was one thing missing.

Jack.

Sally moved her arm slowly over to feel the empty space beside her. It was cold. Lonely.

The skeleton hadn't come home yet. No doubt just busy with his work, per usual, but, still. Sally never really liked the feeling of falling asleep without her husband next to her. By her side, as always. Holding her. Holding her in the way he always did. She craved his touch, his love. But he wasn't here yet, and it was getting late.

She knew that she could stay up and wait for him. But with Halloween approaching very quickly, it was so hard to tell when he'd be back. It wasn't easy waiting up half the night. She'd most likely end up falling asleep anyway. So it made no difference. He'd be there in the morning.

But Sally would be lying if she said it wasn't more difficult to sleep alone. With no one to wrap her arms around. No one to give soft kisses to whenever she awakes in the dead of night. She was always missing Jack when he wasn't there. How she wanted to see his adorable face again. But he would come, soon enough. Finally, Sally had begun to drift off to sleep. Mere soft breaths escaped her lips as she lay in bed, silently, in the darkness. The only sound to be heard was the slight creak of the floorboards. She shifted a little, but did not wake. The sound of light footsteps did not wake her either. Only once she felt the soothing kiss of skeletal lips on her cheek did Sally flutter her eyes back open.

Jack was standing over her. He had been crouching to give her a kiss, but blinked as he noticed her stirring from her sleep. A smile spread on her lips. He was home. She could barely even see him in the darkness, but it was more than enough.

He whispered, "My dear, I'm sorry. I did not mean to wake you."

"It's okay. Please..." Sally lightly patted the blanket next to her. "...Come to bed, my love."

Jack did as asked, standing up and slipping around to the other side. He gently slid back the covers and climbed in himself, pushing the blanket around him neatly. Turning on his side, he opened his arms. His wife took the invitation immediately, wanting to feel his embrace in this moment more than anything. She came forward to wrap her arms around his neck, and nuzzled herself into his collar. She closed her eyes. Jack too wrapped his arms around her, placing them on her back. He tilted his head down to give her a couple soft pecks on the forehead. It appeared he missed her as well.

"I apologize for arriving home so late, dearest Sally. I had not intended to work for so long."

"It's quite alright, Jack." She yawned, "But I'm happy you're here now."

"Happy to be here as well..." He laid his head down, resting his cheek against her hair. His eye sockets closed. "Sleep well, my darling. I love you."

She tightened her grip around him, enjoying his embrace as she melted under his touch.

"Goodnight. I love you too."