prologue

There are some things no one says about being a hero.

It's the fact that a lot of the background work is dirty work, something which could cost them their lives if they mess it up even one bit. Due to this, the Hero Network was formed. Heroes would be matched based on quirk suitability and the case, often weighing in experience as a criteria too. Not only that, many of these heroes were matched up based on compatibility.

Take Endeavour, for example: he was a man who preferred to do things alone, in which case the standoffish Eraserhead would rarely be paired up with him unless the situation was that dire. Hence, Endeavour often got obedient sidekicks, while Eraserhead worked with those who could support him well and utilize his quirk to the maximum, like Manual.

Due to this, the hero matching process is one that requires a lot of thought. While it is comparible to the system of dating sites, in which profiles that seem compatible with theirs are the ones first recommended to them, the software is much more detailed and takes a lot more factors into consideration.

This delicate software was one manned by the committee that gave heroes a reason to do their job. The Public Safety Commission, in other words, a committee which licensed and ranked heroes with the help of the public. They were a careful bunch, who put the country's needs before that of their heroes. It was what made citizens so grateful for their presence.

The Public Safety Commission, would at no costs, pair up two of the top ten heroes, both of which constantly compete against each other. Why? They would jeopardize the mission, for their focus would be on the public reaction rather than the operation itself.

Which meant that the Commission should see no reason to pair the Rabbit Hero: Mirko, with her rival, the Guardian Hero: Soteria. After all, the two of them had stolen each other's thunder on multiple occassions, and consistently competed against each other.

Surely the mission should come first, right?

Yet here they were.