Chapter 3: Ryu

For the rest of the week I couldn't stop thinking about Kari. Each day I looked forward to going to art class. During the period I would find myself alternating between doing my work and trying to talk to her. By Friday I found the short time that I was getting to talk to her wasn't enough.

When the bell rang I gathered my things as quickly as I could and stood beside her as she gathered hers.

When she's done she looks up at me and smiles. I can tell she's about to say goodbye. "So I was wondering if I could walk you to your next class today?" I ask in a rush. I never want to hear her say goodbye to me. I feel my face start to heat up as I wait for her answer.

She looks a little taken aback by the suddenness of my question. As the shock fades it's replaced by one of her gorgeous, absolutely genuine smiles. "I would love that." And with that we walk out of class. Together.

"So, do you have any plans for the weekend?" I ask trying to make conversation.

She sighs, "homework mostly. It really sucks, I have a science project to work on and a math test on Monday."

"That does suck. Those are pretty much the two worst subjects."

"Right! I don't like them, but I thought they might be good to take just in case. I'm more of an arts person."

"Yeah? I guess that shouldn't surprise me. I've seen your painting and it's amazing."

She looks at me, surprised. "When did you look at my painting?"

I was not expecting that reaction. "It was just one time you were gone from your easel. I just looked over and all I saw was your painting. Even though it wasn't finished, it was beautiful already." Like you, "I hope you'll show it to me when you're done."

She looks down self consciously, "maybe. As long as you promise not to peek at any of my unfinished work again," she says while looking at me accusingly.

I chuckle, "alright, I promise." She smiles and nods.

"So what do you want to do when we get out of this place?" I ask, referring to our high school.

She shrugs, "I don't really know. Like I said I love the arts. But my parents think I wouldn't be able to do anything with any of them. They probably want me to be a lawyer or a doctor or something. What about you?"

"Well, I'm kinda the same as you. I love the arts, that doesn't mean I'm good at all of them. My favorite is music, plus I love making people happy. I would love to be a radio announcer. It combines my interests and my people skills, I think it would be the best job ever. For me at least."

She nods and mumbles something.

"What was that?" I ask.

She bites her lip before saying, "oh, I just said that I've noticed that."

I lift one eyebrow in confusion, "noticed what?"

She smiles, "that you like making people happy. After all, you've been making me happy all week, and I rarely ever see you when you're not smiling." We stop walking and are standing outside her classroom. I feel a blush creep from my neck up into my face. I think I might see a bit of red staining her face as well, but since she is looking down, it's hard to tell. "Thank you for walking me to class Ryu, it was nice. You better go before you're late though." She looks up at me with a small smile and a bit of red still visible across her nose. "I'll see you on Monday."

She hesitates before walking into her classroom. Our hands extend a little at the same time, like we both subconsciously decide to reach for each other, and our fingers brush slightly. It was the lightest of touches but it sends an electric shock up my arm. We both pull away as fast as we can, although I am reluctant. "Alright, see you on Monday." I grin at her and say, "and good luck with that homework!" while walking backwards.

She giggles, "thanks," is all she says before turning away and walking into her class. I watch her go until I can't see her anymore then turn around and practically sprint down the hallway. Making it to my last class a second before the bell rings.