Chapter 42

Ceyda squeezed her eyes and stopped thinking of Kongar. "If Osman is here, then he must be looking for Dundar... and if Dundar left..." She rushed over to the door and peeked out. With relief, she saw Osman pacing around the front of the kiosk, alone. She needed to tell him about Dundar. After making sure Balgay was nowhere near Osman, she picked up a pebble and threw it in front of him. The action caught his attention, and he peered into the direction it came from. Ceyda gestured for him to come over, and he did so after making sure Balgay was still inside, full of confusion.

"What are you doing here, Ceyda?" Osman questioned, wondering why she was at Alisar's kiosk at a time like this.

Ceyda shushed him and explained, "Abi, Dundar Bey was here. He and Alisar have come together. By Gunduz Bey's orders, I pretended to side with them."

Osman nodded, "I thought so... Alisar's death is near. You should leave now. From now on, don't go near Alisar by yourself. Hurry, go."

Ceyda obeyed and slipped into the bazaar. After making sure Ceyda was out of sight, Osman waited for Balgay near the entrance of the kiosk.

Ceyda did not leave the bazaar yet. She hid behind a wall near one of the merchant's stalls. It still let her look into the kiosk, and she narrowed her eyes at Kongar, mustering all the hate she could towards him. To prove that her nightmare was just a nightmare and not reality. To prove that she didn't love him. To prove that 'he' wouldn't betray her. Whoever this 'he' is.

Kongar started to ride off to Kuluchaisar, where he would retrieve the laws of Genghis Khan when he spotted Ceyda glaring at him. He looked behind him from the corner of his eye to see Balgay and Cerkutay still mounting their horses. Then, he peered back at Ceyda, who maintained eye contact. They're right... she does have a glare that could take out your soul, Kongar thought, gulping as he continued looking into her eyes. He then realized she would get caught if she stayed longer as her hiding place wasn't exactly the best. He gave her a quick jerk of his head, hoping she would understand that as a sign to leave. Ceyda saw the signal and shook her head, making sure he understood she did not love him, and in fact did the opposite. Kongar shook his head in disbelief and tried ignoring her. Ceyda glared at him for a few more seconds, making sure he remembered it, then sneaked back to the stables when he wasn't looking and rode off to the Kayi Tribe once again.

When Kongar looked back, she was gone, and his stomach dropped slightly. He cleared his throat and ignored the somewhat welcoming feeling, galloping to Kuluchaisar.

---

"You left without me?" Ceyda panted, halting her horse as she finally caught up with Dundar and his family, who were resting in the forest not too far from the kiosk.

Aygul stood up and walked over to Ceyda, reaching out her hand to help her. "Alisar Bey said you were already at the Kayi Tribe..."

"What? No, I was in the bazaar."

Aygul furrowed her brow, then watched Ceyda suspiciously as she steadied herself on the ground. "Are you sure you were at the bazaar?"

Ceyda swallowed uncomfortably. Aygul always had that piercing stare that made sure no one would lie to her. She hadn't ever lied to Aygul. She couldn't. But she had no choice. "Of course. Where else do you think I was?"

"Ceyda... did you go to the Kayi Tribe?" she inquired as if she could see right through her.

"No, Aygul. I did not." Ceyda felt a pang of guilt at the confidence she told the lie with.

Aygul eyed her for a few more moments, but Ceyda maintained a straight, believable face, and she gave in. Zohre and Dundar were sitting under the shade of the tree, glancing over at Ceyda. Zohre seemed as if she had been crying while Dundar seemed rather angry. "What happened to them?" Ceyda asked, gesturing to the couple.