☁️ Sunset Lover

Word count: 910

I remember standing next to you and your curly whites over an old beach-house wooden handrail with the wind blowing softly through our hairs.  You were saying something (probably) but I wasn't listening.  I  just remember looking over to you for a second to catch your smile lightly imprinted on your face as the golden hour struck and the warm tones brought life back onto your luscious pale skin.

"You really are a sight for sore eyes," I remember telling you.

The face you made when you looked at me.  You should've seen it.  It was a muddled combination of embarrassment, happiness, and shyness as your cheeks would flush a delicate shade of peach as you would shy your head "no" and wouldn't give yourself the benefit of the doubt that "you are pretty."

Still, I can tell, despite all that was written across your face, you enjoyed that compliment nonetheless.

Your attempt to try and distance yourself from me countered on you.  Pulling your hand away just so I can pull your body closer to mine, I hope that you didn't mind that I closed the gap between us.

Of course, you wouldn't look me directly in the eyes.  Your eyes would wonder around before realizing that I wanted to give you all the attention that you need. 

As I leaned in closer so our foreheads would meet, I'd whisper sweet nothings in your ears for you to fluster about. "You never cease to mesmerize me."

"I-I could say the same for you, too,...

Izuru-kun." You would say as you'd endeavor to hide your smile beneath a slight pout.

You really are the cutest thing.

But indeed, I do want to understand more of these feelings that I've begun to express.  It's all because of you that I want to change my old monotonic habits.  Because of you, I want to convey the right feelings, and I wonder sometimes whether I am taking the right approach.  Is this what it's like to like someone?

Yes, truly it must. I proceeded to ask you myself, indulging of the answer you'll give me. "I wonder if life would be different without you here?"

"Like disappearing away like the worthless-"

You began to speak, but I wouldn't allow the rest of your words to continue as I only predicted the ending of that sentence would leave a tense, uncomfortable feeling in the air.  It would kill the moment, and that, I will not allow as I merge your lips with mine with a short kiss.

You were taken by surprise and couldn't utter the rest of the words to fall out of your mouth, so I rearranged and completed the sentence for you:

"Like a potential white rose that was meant to bloom in the spring, but was never able to sprout.  If it were to blossom however, it would be the most unique out of the rest of the common red roses that people see...

In other words, it would be like you.  You're a white rose, and without you... the world would be as dull as it is."

"I-Izuru"

"Hm, did I say something wrong?"

"No, not at all!" You would strengthen yourself up to say. "Your words are truly beautiful, and I-I appreciate them."

"So, why do you still seem to be holding back?"

I waited for an answer.  Patiently.  Until he spoke.

"T-The kiss... Why so sudden?"

"What? Shall I give you another?" I teased lightly as I cupped one side of the boy's pale face.

You reached up to hold onto my wrist as I caressed your face. "I-I don't mind.  But I was just so caught off-guard. I was just wondering what for?"

Perhaps I didn't intend in answering this question.  I would not like to resolve our day like this as the sun have finally hid beneath the ocean waves, and the sky grew dark. 

Instead, I questioned you myself. "Would it be too soon to announce one's feelings for another?"

"O-Of course not!  I-I just wonder... whether loving me would be some sort of mis-"

"Misunderstanding. No. Never."

"I was going to say something else."

"I know."

There was silence. Only the wind blew softly through our hair as the waves crashed on the shore lines.

I decided to break this silence.  I knew that it was always uncomforting.

"I hope you know that you're someone dear to me.  I would dislike the idea of him trying to belittle himself," I insisted Nagito to understand.

"...I... I just hope that this person you speak of brings you happiness."

"You are my happiness.  And that will never change.  Nothing will hinder what we have and what we will be... just so you know," I clasped both of Nagito's hands and intertwined them with mine.

It was then after that I felt a kiss placed on my own lips.

"I-I hope you know what decision you're making right now."

"Well, my decisions have never been wrong."

I could see Nagito smile once more.  A genuine smile that wasn't covered with any deception and mixed emotions. 

I want to keep it.

As I let go of one of Nagito's hand, I took one last good look at the beach before us in the night sky before looking at the beach house door, where confort awaits us from the cool breeze.

"Let's go love."