The Stressed

This is the longest chapter I've written! It's sitting at around 8650 words!

Also, there is more than one POV change this chapter! woo

I've also updated the A/N with all the chapter names and summaries I have so far!

TW/CW: mentions of tobacco/alcohol consumption, descriptions of anxiety, descriptions of spit/phlegm

*************************************************

DeWitt Craft:

⠀⠀⠀The hours passed by, Techno's feet were numb at that point from all the walking. The sky turned a bright orange, the sun feeling tired after a long day of warming the cold air of the Atlantic. Dream's sketchbook had been returned to his cabin long ago, Techno's hair put into a loose bun after being blown into a long mess of tangles and knots. The evening sun complimented Dream's already sun-kissed features perfectly, creating an orange halo around his shaggy hair. They had long fallen into a rhythm of stories and comments, their afternoon being filled with laughter and closeness.

⠀⠀⠀Techno insisted on hearing every detail of Dream's childhood and adolescent years. When Dream evidently felt bad for ramblings, he asked for Techno to give him at least a peek into what his life is like, and Techno responded with, "You'll see tonight, don't you worry," and Dream continued.

⠀⠀⠀"After that, I worked on a squid boat in Monterey," Dream had been recalling the timeline of his many jobs all over America, and Techno had been listening best he could, "then I went to Los Angeles to the pier in Santa Monica and did portraits for ten cents each." He smiled fondly, eyes looking dazed as he looked back at his past.

⠀⠀⠀"Why can't I be like you, Dream?" Techno asked, not for the first time that day, he leaned forward against the railing of the uppermost deck, "Just head out for the horizon whenever I feel like it." Their fire-tinted eyes met, Techno smiled, "Say we'll go there, sometime, to that pier, even if we only ever just talk about it." Techno proposed, smile bright with hope.

⠀⠀⠀Dream shared his smile, "No, we'll do it. We'll drink cheap beer. We'll ride on the roller coaster 'till we throw up," Techno laughed, feeling happier than he did all day at the proposition, "We'll even ride horses on the beach, right in the surf. But like a real cowboy, none of that sidesaddle stuff." Dream jabbed a finger at Techno's chest.

⠀⠀⠀Techno raised his hand to his chest in mock offense, "Why do you assume I ride sidesaddle? I probably ride more like a cowboy than you do!"

⠀⠀⠀Techno always had fond memories of riding horses, he was often in the country at his Aunt Charlotte and Uncle Cyrus' farm, especially after his father passed, to ride their many horses. The first horse they let him ride, when he was just beginning to learn, was named Brick, the steed was the slowest horse, and Techno didn't really like riding him later on, but Techno still had a soft spot for the light brown and white-spotted horse. Later on, he moved onto a horse that he named himself, Andrew, he was a decent horse, dark brown in coat and blonde in mane, he was fast, but not race horse fast, like Techno so desired, but he had a good jump, to his credit. Over the years, he switched between Andrew and an older, faster horse, Rocket. Rocket had been a race and competition horse in his prime, and despite his age, always surprised Techno whenever he did anything impressive. The horse was a dark-brown to black colour that reflected the sun. Techno fell in love with the horse. Eventually, he had to say good-bye and laid the horse to rest after twenty-six years of life. He continued to ride Andrew exclusively after that.

⠀⠀⠀"Would it be so unexpected for me to think that, though?" Dream rebutted, "Do you actually ride?"

⠀⠀⠀"No, it isn't unexpected." Techno's face molded into a smile once again, "And, I do~." He cooed.