"And there came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes and heroines found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born--to fight the foes no single superhero could withstand! Through the years, their roster has prospered, changing many times, but their glory has never been denied! Heed the call, then--for now, the Avengers Assemble!"

Burning blue flames. A smoky cube shape emerges THE TESSERACT.
---------------------------------------------------------------
EXT. THRONE ROOM, SPACE

Kneeling behind a Throne, a clothed, armord figure known as the other, bows.

"The Tesseract has awakened. It is on a little world. A human world. They would wield its power,..." The other says. The other faces a horned shaped shadow. Loki. Loki is handed the Chitauri Scepter, a long golden handle, fitted with a blue gem encircled with silver blades. "But our ally knows its workings as they never will. He is ready to lead. And our force, our Chitauri, will follow." Tens of thousands of Chitauri stand ready in a seething mass of neat rows and columns....the ground simply. "The world will be his. The universe yours. And the humans, what can they do but burn?"

EXT. S.H.I.E.L.D. PROJECT P.E.G.A.S.U.S FACILITY

Out in the New Mexico desert, a remote research facility is in a state of panic. It's an evacuation. A swooping helicopter flies in. Chaos. Men in suits run around like in the typical 'we have to leave' fashion. Soldiers on foot jump onto Humvees, accelerating the hell out of there. A voice bellows from hidden loudspeakers.

EXT. HELICOPTER PAD

Standing a few yards from the landing pad, A Fed in a suit with badass shades, peers at the helicopter as it lands. This is

SHIELD AGENT PHIL COULSON.

Walking out of the helicopter is Shield Agent Maria Hill, Sexy, Fierce and Determination. Following her, Shield Director Nick Fury climbs out. Hill and Fury approach Agent Coulson.

"How bad is it?" Nick asks.

"That's the problem, sir. We don't know." Coulson says.

INT. FACILITY FLOOR

Agent Coulson leads Hill and Fury through the radiation section of the facility. Hundreds of technicians and other staff run around, taking only the essentials.

"Dr. Selvig read an energy surge from the Tesseract four hours ago." Coulson says

"NASA didn't authorize Selvig to test phase." Nick says

"He wasn't testing it, he wasn't even in the room. Spontaneous advancement." Coulson says.

"It just turned itself on?" Maria asks.

"What are the energy levels now?" Nick asks

"Climbing. When Selvig couldn't shut it down, we ordered the evac." Coulson says.

"How long to get everyone out?" Nick asks.

"Campus should be clear in the next half hour" Coulson says.

"Do better." Nick says. 

HEADING DOWN TO RADIATION FACILITY FLOOR

"Sir, evacuation may be futile." Maria says.

"We should tell them to go back to sleep?"Nick asks.

"If we can't control the Tesseract's energy, there may not be a minimum safe distance" Maria says

"I need you to make sure that PHASE 2 prototypes are shipped out." Nick says.

"Sir, is that really a priority right now?" Maria says.