Prologue

15 Years ago

Everything has gone to hell.

It shouldn't be that surprising though. A civil war has been under way for at least two years. Good wolves have been killed on both sides, and now the Alpha has found them.

The two wolves had done everything in their power to hide themselves while they led the war. Yes they fought on the front lines with those who supported them, but they also had something precious to protect. They had no idea what would happen if they were killed.

The girl jumped in her hiding spot when she heard the door finally breaking down. She could almost hear her mother whispering for her to be quiet.

Holding tightly to her stuffed wolf she peered through the cracks of the closest her mother put her in. In the dim light she could see the scuffle. Ten men were fighting her parents in that small room. How she hoped they would find some way out of this.

After about thirty minutes five men were left and had pinned her parents to the ground. She wanted to run out of her hiding place, but then the Alpha walked in.

"You were harder to find than I thought. I should really congratulate you on that." The laugh in his voice made the girl clutch onto her wolf tighter. With a wave of his hand the men holding down her parents brought them to their feet.

"Now...are you two going to call off the wolves and end this pointless war? Or are you going to continue to be stubborn idiots?" When neither of them answered the Alpha slapped the girl's mother hard across the face. If there was one thing the girl knew about her mother it was that she didn't take anything lying down.

She kicked the man who was holding her in the balls and lunged for the Alpha. Wrapping her hands around his neck she spit in his face, "You will be the ruin of this pack! You don't deserve the title of Alpha!" While the girl's mom was a great fighter, the Alpha was better. Getting free from her grasp he plunged a knife right into her heart.

"Brenna!" The girl's father screamed as he trashed in the grip of the four remaining men holding him. Even from her closest the girl could see the claws coming out of her father's hands. Where a man once was bound, now stood a wolf shredding away at the Alpha's warriors. Once he dispatched of the warriors the girl's father lunged for the Alpha who had already shifted himself.

The two fought and the girl's father managed to sink his claws into the Alpha's chest. But he lacked that Alpha spark and the Alpha used that pain to fuel himself.

He locked his jaws around the neck of the girl's father and bit down hard. Not just snapping his neck, but tearing out a chunk of it as well. In death the girl's father had shifted back into his human form, but now the eyes so full of light and life were blank as the girl stared at them through the cracks.

She didn't look for the Alpha through the cracks. No instead she waited until she thought he had left to let out the whimpers and tears she had been holding back this whole night.

Just as the first tears fell the door to the closest was yanked open and there before the girl stood the Alpha.

"Well, well well...what to do with you?"