War - 10

Harry hugs his legs to his chest as he looks out into the darkness of the forest. They're safe, for now. Hermione had put up multiple protection charms and muffling spells, and he reinforced them only moments ago.

His mind keeps traveling back to the Ministry, and his run-in with Kyra. She definitely knew it was him. She picked up on his thought, and she looked at him. He should've been afraid when she spun back around on her heel so quick, but instead he felt happy. Any chance he gets to see her, even for a brief moment, is a diamond among rocks.

He tried to bring it up to Ron, but he just rolled his eyes and insisted that Harry needed to move on. Harry had stormed out of the tent afterwards, angry that Ron would even think such a thing. Not while there is still hope.

"Harry?" Hermione crosses her arms. "What're you doing sitting out here?"

"Keeping watch." He lies.

"I'm not daft, Harry." Hermione glares. "We both know that no one needs to keep watch with these charms up. Now, tell me what's on your mind."

"You can probably already guess can't you?" Harry broods. "It's all I think about these days, besides the Horcruxes, and You-Know-Who."

Hermione sighs. "Is there anything I can do to ease your concerns? Clearly you're more worried about her safety than where her loyalties lie."

"I can't help worrying." Harry grits his teeth. "Not while she's with him. While she bears his mark on her skin."

Hermione nods, sadly. She can feel the anger radiating off of her friend, as he genuinely feels disrespected by his greatest enemy for branding his symbol on the love of his life.

"I said that I still loved her." Harry speaks again, a bit abruptly. "When we were in the Ministry, I mean. She turned around and watched us leave. I know she heard me."

"I didn't know what you thought about that made her turn around." Hermione says. "But I figured she heard something, because she most certainly recognized it was us. I saw it on her face."

"So... do you think... I mean she didn't attack us again... there's no way she's-"

"-I don't think she's one of them, no." Hermione agrees. "She had a clear shot, and I'm going to be quite honest, I got a little nervous there, but she didn't take the shot."

"I'm partially relieved... because it could really mean that she's not actually one of them..." Harry says, some relief in his voice. "But I'm also worried... because if she's not actually one of them, then she's putting herself in a lot of danger pretending to be one."

"She'll be okay." Hermione reassures. "She's strong. We both know this."

"Dean used to tell the younger students that her skin is Goblin made..." Harry smiles to himself. "...suppose it means indestructible or something, because most of them avoided her like the plague after that."

Hermione pauses. "Wait... what did you just say?"

"That Dean used to tell the younger students her skin was Goblin made...?" Harry down at the ring on his finger, as he starts thinking about Kyra's features. Her soft skin, her beautiful hair, her pitch black yet alluring eyes.

"Oh my god..." Hermione stands up, and rushes to the tent.

"What." Harry asks monotonously. When Hermione doesn't respond, he snaps out of his thoughts and quickly walks to the tent. "'Mione?"