𝔄𝔠𝔱 8

Before Asira had left the Pearl Gallery, Baizhu gave her specific set of instructions for their rendezvous: exactly thirty minutes after the clinic closes enter the back door of Bubu Pharmacy. There, Baizhu would come to report anything his informants collected, and Asira would report all she knew about the Fatui. Then after Changsheng- who she learned is the name of the snake- checks the perimeter for any unwanted onlookers Asira would slip out just in time.

It has been three days since she last seen him on the night in the Pearl Gallery. Tonight she would see him once more.

And Asira expects answers.

Although she has to admit, she thought the back ally of a clinic would be a lot cleaner than this. The Captain gracelessly dances around cases of broken vials, empty medical crates, and more unidentifiable clinical items... she assumed. Honestly, it was impossible tell at this point.

Finally, Asira had entered, fishing through the dark before finding and lighting a lantern. Its golden glow cast murky shadows against the Pharmacy's muddy green walls, and yet it was hard to complain in contrast to the labyrinth the darkness once was. Climbing a set of bamboo stairs, the hallway opened to a backdoor clinic, rows of lanterns illuminating shelves upon shelves of medicine and glass vials, the Captain scanning the room in awe until she heard the side door open.

On cue, the familiar green haired man entered, handing a welcoming bow as Changsheng slithered her way around his neck once more.

"Long time no see little Knight, how has your mission been thus far? Anything to disclose before I absolutely stun you with my report?" For such cocky words the expression on Baizhu's face was anything but, eyes curved with his disarming smile. It sent a shivering reminder down her spine: no matter how frail, this man was a formidable alley. And a formidable foe.

Asira took a seat beside him, nose twitching at the potent aura of opium and herbs that hovered around the medic and his pharmacy. "Too much to go over verbally," Baizhu quirked an eyebrow and she quickly added, "not that I doubt your memory. I wrote down all the details here, but be sure to burn it thoroughly after reading." 

The medic leaned over the table, sliding the folder into his hand before scanning the documents with an amused hum. He blew out another puff, amber eyes flickering over to Asira, as if expecting her to indulge in their silence. She obliges.

"In short, the Fatui have nearly finished collecting the Archon's Gnosis but their missions go beyond that, it's as you said prior. From each of the eight regions of Teyvat they have decided to resurrect one bygone god, one of which is to be used as a vessel..." Asira is about to continue, but something sharp jabs her heart and she finds herself held back. "What that vessel will be used for, I am not sure."

It hurts. But the claws tearing at her heart and against its restraints pale in comparison to the pain of the lie she felt compelled to tell. No. That too would be a lie. She was afraid, too cowardly to tell the truth, too cowardly to find out what would happen if Baizhu wasn't who he says he is, too cowardly to find out what would happen if there was a Fatui spy listening, too cowardly to find out what would happen if, Archons forbid, the Knights found out.

Asira was selfish, and a coward. Yet perhaps that is why she believed to be more human than ever.

"How curious, you said eight nations, did you not?"

Asira snaps up, nodding slowly, "Yes, I did."

"To the best of my knowledge we have seven, no? Mondstadt, Liyue, Inazuma, Sumeru, Fontaine, Natlan, and Snezhnaya, unless," Baizhu's pipe twirls against his palm and she swears she hears the snake hiss, "you mean to say they have found a remnant from Khenari'ah?" It takes every fiber of her body not to graze against her heart— against the diamond branded against her skin. The one she failed to recognize until only nights prior.