fourteen

A couple days pass and we're in a car with George in the back for purposes of quick hiding. It's easier to hide back there, of course. He's got pillows and bags and blankets, the whole nine yards. George had managed to pin point Nick's general location, but since the man is so good at hiding, we have to drive and ask around some underground people to find out where he is exactly. He's been keeping up with that though, since he's smart and all.

We haven't talked much since we got on the highway though. Clay's been especially quiet, keeping his eyes on the road, and me? I've been sleeping a lot. The amount of sleep I had in this car has been more than when I was in George's bunker. "Where are we going again?" I say out of habit.

"If we say, then we'll be followed. Everything and everywhere could be listening." George said, typing away at his laptop.

There goes my chance of figuring things out. "Okay, so. Then how much longer?" 

"A few days give or take? Hopefully he doesn't move before then."

Clay chimes in. "He's known to move around a lot and only stays in places for a short amount of time." I turn to look at him, he's still paid attention to the road.

I huff, watching out the window for the millionth time. Flat land here, flat land there, farms and cows every now and then. Nothing satisfies my boredness. Not even sleeping. "I'm so bored." I finally said, the boredness catching up to me. I threw my head back against the chair and attempted to resituate myself.

"What do you suggest us doing?" Clay glanced over at me. "We can't do anything. We have a damn fugitive in the car."

"I know. There's nothing. Unless we start talking or I'll- I don't know what I'll do, but something like turn George in or call my parents. Entertain me goddammit." I quickly shut my mouth realizing I said everything I was thinking. "Sorry."

"No, understandable. We stayed in the quiet for so long, you were with your thoughts and I apologize, it was my fault." Clay sighed, looking back at George who seemed to have fallen asleep before my outburst. He looked at me before turning towards the road. "What do you wanna do?"

"What's your family like?" I asked, getting back into a comfortable position. Even though the comfortable position in question isn't super comfortable.

"My mom is wonderful, she's such a strong person. And my sister is hilarious. My dad is cool, we bond over football mostly. And my brother is cool, one of the best brothers, and my older sister is cool too." He said in a breath.

"3 siblings?" I counted with my fingers.

"A younger sister, younger brother, and an older sister." He nods.

"I just have me, my mom, and my dad, so I don't know a house full of people. Must be fun." I looked over at him.

"Fun. Haha, well. I wouldn't say that." He smirked, looking at me and our eyes locked for a second before he went back to the road. "I also have a cat."

"Oh? What's it's name?"

"Patches. She's such a beautiful cat." He smiles warmly, probably thinking of Patches.

"Maybe after all this, I can meet Patches?" I proposed the idea and he nodded.

"Maybe."