Go Home

The Hamon infused book I threw crashed into the wall beside Joseph Joestar's head, and it stuck into the wall from the sheer force. I scolded, "I said, 'go home'!" I was hoping he would turn tail and walk away.

Joseph, my boss, stood at the doorway of my office. He glared back at me with a stern expression. But I could see it. He had dark circles under his eyes. Red rimmed his bloodshot eyes. He took a step forward and said, "Well, if you are so worried, you can continue being my assistant and assist me."

"I am assisting you," I retorted. "I got all your work covered. Go home and get rest. You've only been off for a day, and that was just for the... gathering. Take some time to grieve."

Joseph annoyance grew apparent. Aria, I am fine." He was indeed not fine. This 67 year old man had just lost his wife of almost 50 years. There was no way that this man could be fine. "Now be a good girl and pass me my folder."

"Good girl?" I scolded. "I am a woman. Now go home and get some rest."

Then he sighed.

A silence washed in between us, before he broke the silence. The air got really tense in between us.   "You really think I want to be home without her to be there."

My heart wrenched from that statement. He had a point. How could he rest without the one he spent so many years with? I gave in and said, "Okay." I opened my drawer to take out the manilla folder he needed. I held it out for him.

He walked over to my desk and grabbed the folder. He didn't pull it from my grip before saying, "Maybe you should go home and get some rest. You tend to project yourself on others when you are stressed."

"No, I don't," I retaliated.

He continued, "You knew her as well. You need some time to grieve too."

I wanted to make sure he was okay. It was no big deal for me. I quickly stood up from my chair, "But Mr. Joestar-!"

He placed his free hand on my shoulder and said in a softer tone, "Aria, it's okay to leave me alone. You are a great assistant. Give yourself a break."

I sniffed as I felt a bit of sadness. SuzyQ was a sweet lady. She always brought life to any place she arrived. She was gone too soon. I felt bad for Joseph.

I reached for his hand on my shoulder and gave his hand a supporting squeeze. I wanted him to know that his wellbeing is my concern as both Assistant and friend. His loss was my loss.

"And next you will say, I am so sorry, Mr. Joestar. Now."

"I am so sorry, Mr. Joestar- hey." I laughed a little.

"There's that smile," he said. "You've been stiff all week. Now go get some rest. You've been hard at work." How was I the one to be told to go home?

I should've been the one to cheer him up. I nodded, "Okay. See you tomorrow?"

"Yeah, see you tomorrow."

I hoped that he would be okay.

...

Welcome to my new jjba fanfic. I'm sad to have killed of SuzyQ. I love her, but I needed this story to continue the way I want it to. And yes, this is before Stardust Crusaders started, and after Josuke is born.