Change Happens

What if I stopped my Hamon training?"

...

"What? Why would you say that?" He looked genuinely concerned. It didn't help with the fact that he already looked so stressed.

"Please don't be so startled," I said quickly. "I just... I don't  like the idea of me being left behind."

"Left behind?" He exhaled in relief from that statement. "From what I can tell, I was the one being left behind."

"That's not really it... um." I couldn't find the proper words.

Joseph placed the hand that wasn't holding his bouquet on my cheek. He consoled, "How about before you make such a change, we go home and get some rest. I've had quite the week."

He was right. I needn't be hasty, but what if it would be too late? What if I became the Joseph to the Joseph and SuzyQ marriage? I was getting too aware of his mortality, and it was getting to me.

Joseph put his arm around my shoulder. He said, "Let's go."

And thus we went home. We decided to have dinner at home, and so we were at the table eating.

In the middle of dinner, Joseph asked, "So what's on your mind? Was it something you were trying to say earlier?"

I nodded, "Yes." I gathered my thoughts together. "I wanted to stop my Hamon training, so I could age normally. I want to grow older with you."

Joseph seemed taken aback by my statement. "I didn't think that this would be something to bear on you."

I humphed, "It's all your fault too!"

"W-why?"

"Ever since I've fallen in love with you, I could only think of spending the rest of my life with you! It's terrible."

"It's love," he simply said. He said it as if he was reminiscing something. It was like he had an experience with it. Well, he did. He reached across the table and placed his hand over mine. "Let me tell you what. If you feel like this is something you want to do, go for it."

I nodded, "Okay." I wasn't sure if I should stop cold Turkey, but I didn't want to wait to long. "Who would've thought that doing nothing would be so hard?" I laughed uneasily.

He gave me a reassuring smile. "I trust you to make the choice you want."

I could feel a rush of relief come wash over me, but was that what really solved my problem? Hamon was my life, but things change.

I'm spending my life with Joseph. I could spend more time with him. I could use that time in a positive way instead of sulking and worrying all the time.

"Okay," I said. "Forget all this Hamon training. When I married you, I wanted to spend the rest of my life focused on you."

Something glistened in Joseph's eye. He sniffed and brought a napkin to his face. Was he... crying?

"You are such a sweet person," he said. "I feel like I should focus more on you, myself. I felt guilty leaving you behind, but I didn't want to risk your safety. Here you are, worried about growing old with me. Aria, you are too precious." He placed his hand on my cheek and gazed into my eyes lovingly.

My heart skipped a beat as a giggle slipped from my lips. I quickly covered my mouth. Somehow this man still could make me swoon.

Joseph laughed, "Come on. I'm used to your giggles by now." He leaned over the table to my face to give me a kiss on the cheek. He placed his forehead against mine and said, "I missed you so much."

"Me too," I replied.

He gave me another kiss on the other cheek. Then on my lips. He smiled against my lips and pulled back.

"Um," I wasn't sure what to say next. I enjoyed that despite it just being a few kisses. It made me feel... special... loved. A giggle escaped my lips again.

"Wow," he said. "I guess your Stand isn't just a one way connection."

"Hunh?" But my confusion was answered by my Stand of wires connected to Joseph's hand. I wasn't feeling his emotions, so I didn't think twice, but... "Are you feeling my emotions?"

"Yeah," he answered. "Lemme guess. Confusion... now embarrassment... Wow, now annoyed. I didn't recognize that your emotions can change that quick."

I sighed, "Mr. Joestar." I pulled my Stand dematerialized my Stand.

"Sorry."

"It's... fine," I exhaled. "I'm just not used to being on the recieving end."

He shrugged, "That makes sense."

I asked, "So tell me about your travels. Did anything crazy happen? Did you find out anything new?"

As he told me about his week, we continued eating. Then he encouraged me to tell me about my week. We found out both of us had very uneventful weeks. His much stressful than mine. We also missed each other very much.

When we done, we showered and went to bed. He was tired, so I didn't push to do any strenuous activities.

But a minute into getting in bed, Joseph scooted close. He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me against him. My ear was to his chest, so I could hear his heartbeat. His warmth was very soothing.

I listened as his heartbeat and breathing slowed to a resting rate. He was soon asleep.

And soon, I was sleeping.