Saving Souls

Prologue

"No! Daniel, run!"

SNAP! The whip hit me on my cheek.

"You stupid emo bitch! How dare you come to this house." Daniel's mom yelled at me before kicking me in the stomach and leaving me there.

I was laying near the edge of the woods near Daniel's house. I rolled onto my back and stared at the evening sky. The sun was still a bit up but behind the trees. I didn't cry at the pain I was feeling but I kept thinking that was one less beating he had to take.

"Melly?" I heard Daniel call quietly. I didn't respond. He walked over quietly and knelt beside me. He started crying and layed his head gentley on my stomach. "I'm so sorry. I was a wimp. I shouldn't have run." He said through sobs. His entire body was shaking as he swept my bangs away from my face.

He gentley picked me up bridal style and I leaned my head against his chest. He may not look strong but he is. He carried me a little ways to a path hidden in the brush at the edge at the woods. He walked until he ended up at the bridge that went over a gully.

Daniel gentley laid me down on the bridge and used his jacket as a pillow for my head. He went over to the hallowed out log that was there and pulled out the backpack of supplies we kept for times like this.

He pressed a wet rag against my cheek. I flinched and my eyes watered but I didn't cry out in pain.

"I'm sorry." He whispered as he put a bandage on the wound.