Chapter Twenty Seven: A Hundred and One Apologies and A Search For Happiness

“Try to break the chains but the chains only break me.” – Nick Jonas, Chains

(Corrine’s point of view)

     I waited for him on the couch and ended up falling asleep at around nine. I woke up at five in the morning with a blanket wrapped around me. I smiled a little. Maybe Jason doesn’t completely dislike me. Pushing it off of me, I rolled off of the couch and headed to our bedroom, for some reason hesitating for a second at the door. Is this what I really want? I closed my eyes and my hand tightened around the door knob. I felt as though that was a meaningless question to ask myself. Sighing, I pushed the door open gently and found Jason sprawled on his side of the bed, in only his briefs. I walked over and sat on the edge next to him, wondering if I should wake him up. Deciding against it, I gently climb over him to my side—it’s just the easier choice!—and lie down, planning on waiting for the hour and a half until he’s supposed to wake up.

     But I forgot that Jason was a light sleeper and nearly screamed when he rolled over to face me still half-asleep with his face buried in his pillow and mumbled, “What happened to space?”

     With a hand over my heart I responded, “Yeah, about that, we need to talk.”

     He groaned. “Now? Why?”

     “Yes, now, because I’ve been waiting to tell you this since, like, six yesterday.”

     Slowly, he sat up and rubbed his eyes. “Okay, fine, go ahead.”

     “I’m sorry.” I blurted. “I-I’ve been acting different, I know. And I’m so, so, so very deeply sorry for that and for not explaining. I just don’t know how to explain anything. And I know that all of my unexplained issues put you in a difficult position and I’m sorry about that too.” I took a deep breath and tentatively took his hand in mine, relieved that he didn’t pull away. “But I promise you Jason, this’ll all end. I promise.”

     There was a moment of silence and then he sighed and gave my hand a squeeze. “Okay.” Then he wrapped an arm around my shoulders and pulled me closer, until our sides pressed up against each other. “I love you,” he said quietly.

     Equally quiet, I said the words back, somewhere in the back of my mind wondering if I completely meant them.

     “Let me get this straight; you like me, but you’d like to take another shot at your marriage—which I understand, but dislike—and you’d like to be friends, but at the same time, you don’t want to pretend that whatever it is that happened between us never happened, because you think that’ll make us take a round-trip back to this slightly, very awkward position and in addition, you want to stop posing, meaning, there goes my current project.” Nathan stated, rolling his mug in between his palms.

    For a second, my eyes focused on his hands, strangely noting that he has incredible man-hands. It wasn’t something I could really explain. He just had great hands. My cheeks burned. Great hands. Great hands that made me come and then cleaned me up and held me until I could move without falling face first into the ground. Great hands that gently cupped my face as he whispered sweet nothings to me. I shook my head and tried to concentrate. I asked him to meet me at this cute little café to talk, not to look at his beautiful man-hands—beautiful everything actually—and fantasize about him. “Yeah, all of that. And project?” Yes, I believe it was quite clear to me that he wasn’t just going to take pictures of me and do nothing with them. “I’m sure there are hundreds of women who wouldn’t mind posing for a man who can make anything and everything and everyone look stunning.”

     He looked at me as though I were both intriguing and crazy. “That’s pretty much impossible. Beautiful in a way that isn’t intimidating, sexy, but a little embarrassed about it, all natural and a little bit insecure with all emotions written on your face?” He shook his head. “No Corrine, you’re a once in a blue moon kind of thing.” He sighed. “I’ll figure something out.”

     I blushed again, feeling selfish about not knowing that the posing mattered that much. Careful, I took his hand that was on the table in mine. “I’m sorry.”

      He squeezed my hand. “I just want you to be happy Corrine. Through whatever you go for, remember that you should be happy.”

     I swallowed and squeezed his hand back. “And I want you to be happy too.” He would never know just how badly I wanted him to be happy. I might even tolerate the idea of Rosie if that made him happy.

     I suppose that should’ve been one of those big signs that I was falling for him, that I wanted him to be happy regardless of how he got to that phase, but I was blind to that. Just as I was blind to a lot of other things.

************************

CHAPTER 27!

Now I know all of you are about to complain about how short this is, but people, I'm IN PAIN FROM HELL. Have been since yesterday. (better now, no longer feel like death itself. Kinda. Sorta. Okay, no, my, my brain hurts, along with everything else but oh well). This short chapter was written by a thing I call pure determination and the knowledge that I'm busy as hell tomorrow and probably the rest of the week. :')

But anyway

FOLLOW to know about updates 

VOTE because why not? 

and COMMENT your thoughts, feelings, opinions, and suggestions! And because I need them! and pray I get the comments since Wattpad is an asshole sometimes!

Love y'all!