Chapter 7

"Can I have your attention please? Right, now today we will be transforming animals, into water bubblers. Like so, one, two, three faraverto." Then it turned into a glass.

"Now who would like to go first? Ah Mr. Weasley, one, two, three faraverto."

He cleared his throat and counted to three. "Faraverto."

Then Scabbers didn't turn completely into a cup. He picked it up and turned it around.

"That wand needs replacing Mr. Weasley. Yes Ms. Granger?"

"Professor, I was wondering if you could tell us about, the Chamber of Secrets."

Everyone looked at Professor McGonagall.

"Very well. Now you all know of course that Hogwarts over a thousand years ago by the four greatest witches and wizards of the age. "Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw and Salazar Slytherin. Now three of the founders who existed quite harmoniously, one did not."

"Three guesses who." Ron whispered to Harry.

Then McGonagall pointed her wand at nodding. "Salazar Slytherin wanted to be more selective of the students. He believed that magical learning should be kept within all-magic families. In other words, purebloods. When all the others don't agree he decided to leave the school. Now according to legend, he built a hidden chamber in the castle none as the Chamber of Secrets. Before he left he sealed it so that no one would be able to open it until his own true heir arrived at the school. The heir, alone would be able to open the Chamber, unleash the horror within, and use it to purge the school of all students who in Slytherin's view, were unworthy to study magic."

"Muggleborns." Hermione said.

"Naturally, the school has been searched many times. No such Chamber has been found."

"Professor, what exactly does legend tell us lies within the Chamber?" Harry asked.

"It said to be something that only the heir of Slytherin can control. It is said to be known, as a monster."

When class was done Harry, Neville, Ron and Hermione were walking and talking about the Chamber.

"Do you think it's true? Do you think the Chamber of Secrets?" Ron asked.

"Yes, couldn't you tell? McGonagall's worried. All the teachers are." Hermione said.

"But if the Chamber really does existence and it really has been opened then that means-" Neville started.

"The heir of Slytherin has returned to Hogwarts. The question is, who is it?" Harry said.

"Let's think. Who do we know that thinks all muggleborns are scars?" Ron said.

"You're talking about Malfoy." Hermione said.

"Of course! You heard him, you'll be next mudblood." Ron said.

"I heard him. But Malfoy, the heir of Slytherin?" Hermione said.

"Maybe Ron's right Hermione, I mean look at his family. The whole lot of them have been sorted into Slytherin for centuries." Neville said.

"Crabbe and Goyle must know. Maybe we can trick them into telling us!" Ron said.

"Even they aren't that thick." Harry said.

"There might be another way. Mind you it could be difficult, not to mention we'll breaking fifty school rules. And it'll be dangerous. Very dangerous." Hermione said.

"What do you have in mind?" Harry asked.

"Polyjuice potion."

They all stared at her in shock.

"It's worth a shout." Neville said.

So they headed to the library and looked for the ingredients they need. They needed to get to the restricted section so they went to Lockhart and got it.

Neville, Tracey and Ron waited for Hermione to get the back.

"Here it is, the polyjuice potion. Properly brewed it will allow the drinker to transform himself temporarily into another."

"You mean to say that if Neville, Harry and I drink that stuff we'll turn into Crabbe, Goyle and someone else?" Ron asked.

"Yes. But it's tricky, I've never seen a more complicated potion." she said.

"Well how long will it take to make?" Harry asked.

She looked at them. "A month."

"A month? But Hermione! Malfoy could have attacked half the muggleborns in the school by then!" Neville said.

"I know, but it's the only plan we've got."