Chapter 6: Kagome's Arrow and Return of a Piece of Soul

"Inuyasha...He transformed," I say as urgently as possible. I manage to drag their attention from each other's throats and back to the demon crow ahead of us.

The crow demon has doubled in size, his caws loud and earsplitting. He swoops downward toward a village not too far off. The villagers below are clueless about what is coming their way. They live their lives scattered about with friends and families as they carry out their every day chores.

The crow's many eyes search the approaching crowd, his clawed feet stretch outward and open as he swoops down for a child. With ease, he snatches the innocent bystander from his mother's grip and bats his wings up toward the sky. The child weighs nothing compared to the demon's new strength and the cries of the boy are hard to hear over the cawing of the demon.

Inuyasha curses under his breath. "I told you! That crow demon feeds on humans!"

"No!" Kagome cries. "You don't mean....it's gonna eat him...." Her grip on the bow lessens and returns to grasping onto Inuyasha's shoulder.

"The weight of the boy will slow him down," Inuyasha's lips curl into a wide grin; he even cracks his fingers loud enough to startle Kagome back to reality. I glance back to the demon and pay closer attention - we are gaining on the demon, like Inuyasha said, and just enough that with one leap we are above the crow.

"Feel my claws, buzzard!" Beneath me, Inuyasha's muscles tense while his arm raises in preparation to slash but as he does, we shake midair. Kagome tugs on her side of the half-demons' back, pulling his red cloth taut against his back, earning a grunt of annoyance from him.

"No, idiot!" She shouts into his ear. "Save the boy first!"

The sound of cracking comes from Inuyasha flexing his claws. He's clearly not going to listen to her, no matter how loud she screams. She grumbles angrily, her eyes narrowing. She climbs her legs onto his back, planting her feet solidly on his spine as she repositions herself. Her eyes are on the boy down below. I hear her taking a deep breath and realize what she's about to do. I reach out to her but I am too late. She leaps off his back, throwing all the weight back onto my side. Kagome reaches the boy, snagging him into her arms and out of the demon's grip. Below is a dirt road. It's a long fall but a survivable one.

The demon redirects his attention to Kagome and dives down after her. His sharp beak opens, showing rows of razor-sharp shark-like teeth that are ready to take in its new prey.

Inuyasha growls. He tries to steady himself when the unstable weight shakes us left to right, making it difficult for him to aim his claws. He doesn't have a choice now - if he doesn't attack, Kagome and the boy will be caught in the demon's mouth.

He stops steadying himself and swings back his left arm. Again his claws crack and his muscles tense but he doesn't realize it's the arm I am using to support myself. I hold tight, keeping my head away from his claws that burn red hot. I can almost feel them on my cheek even as I pull away. He swings down at the demon.