Chapter 4: Paitent Assassin

Needless to say, Macaque wasn't at all happy. Ever since he won every fight and rightfully won his kingdom, he felt a major insecurity. That he must win everything and be the best demon king in all of history. After all, he was still young. A teenager. He didn't know any better.

But this wasn't at all a reason to feel bad for him. He loved being a monster.

"Master, master, your disciple pays his deepest respects." The Monkey suddenly replied when the boy from earlier had led the curious simian to the immortal Taoist.

He was old, but also very young at the same time. He looked to be around 60, with some wrinkles over his face, but he also looked like he could still run at a top speed. He was bald, and with a seemingly permanent expression on his face. That expression was unimpressed.

"Where are you from?" Subhiti asked. "You must tell me your name and address before you can become my pupil."

"I come from the Water Curtain Cave in Flowerfruit Mountain in the land of Aolai in the Eastern Continent of Superior Body," replied the Monkey..

"Throw him out," the Patriarch suddenly roared. "He's a liar and a cheat, and even if he tried cultivating his conduct he would get nowhere."

Macaque grinned from the shadows. 'This was easier than I thought.'

The Monkey's face went pale and he quickly bowed again, clasping his hands. "Your disciple spoke the truth! I promise I wasn't lying!"

The Patriarch hummed before facing The Monkey. "If you were speaking the truth, why did you say that you came from the Eastern Continent of Superior Body? Between here and the Eastern Continent there are two seas and the Southern Jambu Continent, so how could you possibly have come here from there?"

"I sailed across seas and oceans, crossed frontiers and wandered through many countries for over ten years before I arrived here." The Monkey said, looking tired just as he said that.

'What...? How has he not learned flight yet? Amuetur.' Macaque rolled his eyes, unimpressed as well.

"So you came here by stages," the Patriarch remarked. "What is your surname?" He asked, now just a tad bit curious.

"I'm not...sure." The Monkey replied. "If people call me names it doesn't bother me, and if they hit me? I don't get angry. I'm just polite to them and that's that. I've never had a name. I'm actually a king back home. I've never been surly-"

"I didn't ask if you were surly. I wanted to know the surname you inherited from your parents." Subhuti said, narrowing his eyes.

"I didn't have any parents..." The Monkey said, hanging his head low. "Everyone always said I had a miraculous birth."

"If you had no parents, did you grow on a tree?"

"I grew not on a tree but inside a stone egg of some kind. All I remember is that there was a magic stone on the top of the Flowerfruit Mountain, and that one year the stone split open? I was born."

Macaque was completely silent before he began scratching at the stone he was gripping onto, but he immediately stopped to maintain his cover.

"In other words, you were born of Heaven and Earth. Walk around for a moment and let me have a look at you." Subhuti said, walking around the monkey, looking him over as if he was judging him.

The Patriarch eventually smiled and said, "Though you have rather a base sort of body, you look like one of the rhesus monkeys that eat pine seeds, and I ought to give you a surname that fits your appearance and call you Hu. The elements that make up the character Hu are 'animal,' 'old' and 'moon'. What is old is ancient, and the moon embodies the Negative principle, and what is ancient and Negative cannot be transformed. But I think I would do much better to call you Sun. Apart from the 'animal' element, the character Sun has one part implying male and one part suggesting a baby, which fits in with my basic theories about children. Your surname will be Sun."

The Monkey or now 'Sun' just smiled the biggest smile his little face could muster and he cheered, hopping into the air. "Great! Great! Now I have a surname. I am eternally grateful to you for your mercy and compassion, master. I beg you to give me a personal name to go with my new surname! Please, please! I beg of you!"

'You don't see me with a surname.' Macaque said, rolling his eyes again.

"There are twelve words within my sect," said the Patriarch, "which I give as names. You belong to the tenth generation of my disciples."

"What are these twelve words?" Sun asked.

"Broad, great, wisdom, intelligence, true, likeness, nature, sea, bright, awakened, complete and enlightenment. If we work out the generations of disciples, then you should have a name with Wu in it. So we can give you the Dharma−name Sun Wukong, which means 'Monkey Awakened to Emptiness'. Will that do?"

"Marvellous, marvellous!!!" Sun exclaimed, smiling wide again and then bowing once more to Subhuti. "From now on my name will be Sun Wukong! The Monkey King!"

'KING?!?' Macaque's mind roared as the two began to walk away into the cave, so he didn't at all hesitate to follow.

The next morning and every following day he studied language and deportment under his spiritual elder brothers, expounded the scriptures, discussed The Way despite not knowing what it was completely, practiced calligraphy, and burnt incense. When he had any spare time he would sweep the grounds, dig the vegetable patch, grow flowers, tend trees, look for kindling, light the fire, carry water, and fetch soy. Everything he needed was provided.

And Macaque hated ALL of it. He wanted to grab Sun Wukong by the throat and kill him immediately. But what disgusted him even more is that he was wasting his time. He figured a good plan was to stay hidden until Subuti finally taught Wukong whatever 'The Way' was.

But Macaque swore...he would stay until he found the secret to unlimited power. To immoral life. And no matter how much he wanted to strike him now, he would bide his time.

Sun Wukong would meet his fate soon enough.