Rapprochement - Part 1

It takes Seri a moment to recognise the woman. It's a face she remembers well, but she didn't expect to see it inspecting a bucket bag in the Louis Vuitton flagship store on the Champs-Élysées.

Her first impulse is to turn away, so Seo Dan won't see her. She bends over a bright orange calfskin leather cross-body bag – it's cute, actually, maybe she'll get it – and thinks.

She's got unfinished business with Seo Dan, like so many of the people she met above the 38th parallel. Perhaps Seo Dan isn't the first of those Seri would've chosen to run into. But the fact they have so met must surely be fate.

Seri's learnt by now to listen to the promptings of fate.

Seo Dan sees her just before Seri speaks. The same surprise and wariness Seri felt flashes across her face.

"Seo Dan," says Seri. She smiles, though she can feel nervousness pulling it tight. "Fancy seeing you here. How have you been?"

Seo Dan takes her time putting the bucket bag back down. Seri flashes the salesgirl an apologetic glance. She's killed that sale.

"Yoon Seri," says Seo Dan. She meets Seri's eyes, a trace of defiance in hers, as though Seri is a North Korean official demanding to know why she isn't wearing her badge. "I am with the Orchestre national des Pays de la Loire now. I come to Paris sometimes."

"That sounds exciting," says Seri. If only they were on such terms that she could ask. But no – if something of this kind had been possible for Jeong-hyeok, he would have arranged it. He's the son of a high-ranking official, that must make things more complicated. "I'm here on business. We're launching a Seri's Choice store here, just down the road."

Dan's expression flickers. Didn't Jeong-hyeok say her mother owned a shopping mall in Pyongyang? She must have a sense of what a coup, and a challenge, this is – a Korean brand setting up in one of the most prestigious shopping destinations in the world.

"So you'll be in Paris often," says Dan. "Well, we have a busy season coming up at ONPL. I won't be here much in the coming months."

"That's a pity," says Seri.

Dan has been as cool and steely as Seri remembers her, but she looks a little disconcerted at this. It makes her seem more human. Suddenly it feels possible to talk to her.

"Do you have time now?" says Seri, on an impulse. "Would you like to go for a coffee? Shopping is thirsty business." She smiles.

Dan stares, for long enough that Seri's smile starts to fade. What am I doing? she thinks.

"All right," says Dan.

It's hard to say which of them is more surprised. But Seri's never yet failed to grasp an opportunity when it's come her way.

"Great," she says. "I know a fabulous little place round the corner. Just give me a moment." She catches the salesgirl's eye. "Excuse me? I'll take this bag, please."

***

It is a nice café, surprisingly cosy and tourist-free. Yoon Seri keeps darting surreptitious looks at Dan. Before Dan can break down and demand what she wants, Seri says:

"Can you order for me? My French isn't great. I gave my interpreter a day off, we were in a meeting till 11 last night."

Seri has a black coffee, no sugar. Dan has a green tea, even though her experience of green tea in Europe is that it is uniformly disgusting, because her default order would have been the same as Seri's and that disturbs her.

She isn't sure why she accepted Seri's invitation. Or why Seri asked. But on reflection, Seri's motive is obvious.

"I can't give you much news of Ri Jeong-hyeok," says Dan, when they're seated. They're seated in a corner, well away from any windows, and no one else in the café looks like they can speak Korean. Still, she keeps her voice low. "He has been discharged from the military. He is a pianist with the national orchestra now. But I have nothing to do with him or his family. Since joining ONPL, I haven't been back to Pyongyang much. Even before, I believe he was avoiding me. Not that I," says Dan, with a touch of acid, "was making any effort to see him."