Chapter 2

I'm not as rushed the next morning. I grab a cup of coffee downstairs and take it back to my room to start preparing for today's event. My room looks like it's been hit by a tornado. Clothes and towels are flung around the room. One boot is by the door, the other sitting on the unmade bed. An empty bottle of vodka lays on its side on the nightstand next to a few empty glasses. My makeup is still in a jumbled heap in the sink and I have to clear it out before I can brush my teeth. 

    I take extra care in doing my makeup this morning. I'm scheduled for a demo this afternoon and directly following that, a meet and greet. I swipe a glittery lip gloss over my lips and let my hair down from the curlers. 

The demos are new. In the past, I've performed my act and that was that. But now that my popularity has grown at these types of events, I've been asked a few times now to put on an instructional demonstration. 

    The crowd is much smaller than the previous night. There are several other workshops going on in different buildings, the vendors are open and so are the concession stands, so everyone in attendance is spread out today. 

    I walk in with my mustang by my side. She wears a pair of bright pink sport boots on her front legs, but no other tack. The company that makes the boots, High Horse Tack, is my sponsor, which is the main reason behind Koda modeling them today. 

    "Good afternoon, everyone." I speak into the microphone clipped to my shirt. My voice reverberates throughout the arena. I plaster a big smile on my face, when I really want to cringe at the sound of my own voice. "I hope you're all having a fantastic weekend. For those of you who don't know me, I'm Caroline McDonnell and..." I'm interrupted by applause, as the spectators assure that they do know who I am. 

    "And this is Miakoda, my mustang mare." I motion to Koda. She tosses her head and sinks to one knee before I even have a chance to cue her. A genuine smile tugs at the corner of my lips. "Today I'm going to talk to you about the human/equine partnership." 

    I walk down one side of the arena, making eye contact with some of the people in the stands, with Koda matching me step for step. "Horses crave companionship. Their social dynamic is evidence of that need. Horses band together and form a functioning group, working together to survive. I mimic their natural behavior by providing Koda with the type of partnership she is designed to seek." 

    I pause, and look at Koda. "Koda, stand." The mustang stops in her tracks and I walk to the end of the arena. 

    "Alone, Koda is more susceptible to predators. Alone, Koda must search for her own food and water sources. Alone, Koda must seek her own shelter." I bend forward and take a step back. Koda springs into a trot, and runs to me. "A partnership offers safety and security. Horses are smart enough to know this." I allow Koda to stand still, the real reason she craves my partnership- her choice is either to be with me or I will make her work until she realize it is better to be with me. "Creating a bond with the horse is the key."I'm

    I play with Koda for a few minutes, talking about horse behavior and throwing in some of our tricks here and there. 

    "Laying your horse down is the ultimate display of trust." I brush one of my curls back and ask my mare to lay down. She paws the sand with her front leg, turns a circle as her knees fold and easily lowers herself to the ground. 

    I lay across her side, and run my hand down her shoulder. "This is the most vulnerable position for a horse. Koda trusts that I will keep her safe and lookout for any danger that might threaten her. I've never let her down before, so her confidence and trust in me continues to grow."

    I stand to my feet, and Koda follows suit. I brush the sand off her belly with my hand and then address the group. "Any questions?" Several hands shoot up. "How about you?" I point to a teenage girl sitting with a group of friends.