Ch.4 "The French government"

To say that something about Shaffer was off, was like saying the sky was baby blue or that the hotel rent was extremely cheap, Mercedes reckoned. She watched Chloe divert the agents attention and eventually the man descended the large flight of stairs to which he had came. Jackson came up behind Mercedes, "you okay"? A low sound, like a cow's moo, bubbled out of Mercedes lips. In hyena shape, this sound would've meant to stay away or to alert other clan members of impending danger. This case it so happened to be the second. 

   Jackson's green eyes widened, "you don't trust Shaffer. Do you"? He realized. "Not as far as I could throw the slimy bastard" Mercedes snorted, "nope". And she popped the 'P'. "I don't think it would be wise to trust him" Mercedes added and took a sip from one of the booze bottles. She yawned loudly, coughed curtly and looked around. "Something is up, FBI agents aren't like that".

   "You don't say" Jackson replied. He looked briefly upon the bottles Mercedes was holding, "the French government owes me four hundred bucks". Mercedes arched an eyebrow, "I could pay you back"? She tried. Jackson shook his head, "it's fine. You really looked like you could've used that pick me up" he replied. Mercedes's response was a curt nod, "and I did" she smiled gratefully. Most walkers (hyenas, wolves and others like them) had a high alcohol tolerance. So two bottles of booze wasn't really going to have an affect on Mercedes. Two bottles of Vodka? Same thing; it was only the bigger bottles and the stronger stuff she tended to avoid most of the time. 

     Mercedes yawned, licking her lips, "thank you again, Jackson".