XIX

Karsyn Sekai Miller .

"How do you run before learning to walk? How to have faith before taking the fall?  Without belief, the sun couldn't show you... Her light." -Cleo Sol

With a frown on my face , I glanced at Genesis who had a smirk plastered on hers .

"Boy, fuck you and your weird ass homeboy." I spat before hanging up the phone.

Genesis giggled. "Bitch, you could have at least let him explain."

I shook my head, neither of them had shit to say to me. "No. Fuck him."

"I'm about to head to the studio, you coming?"

I needed to release some of this built up stress and dancing was the perfect way to do that .

"You ain't said nothing but a word." She jumped up from the bed .

Within the next hour or so , we were at the studio. The red LED lights illuminated the room as I moved effortlessly to Kevin Gates' and Dermot Kennedy's 'Power'

"OH YES FUCKING MA'AM!!"

I could hear Genesis hyping me as did a spinning chopper. As the song came to an end, I descended into a split and rolled over onto my stomach, trying to catch my breath .

"If interior designing doesn't work out for you, please consider teaching classes or something. I won't say stripping cause I don't need nobody seeing all your goods."

She slapped my butt.

I swatted her hand, too tired to even play with her.

Handing me a bottle of water, she took a seat next to me . "How did you ever learn to dance like that anyways? I don't think you ever told me."

Gulping the water down, I closed the top and sat up.

"My mama taught me how to dance. She owned this studio for years until one day she decided to sell it and Kristian and Karter bought it for me . This was always like my escape, especially when her and my daddy would argue a lot. I was 15 driving over here in the middle of the night because I couldn't sleep and now, I'm 21 doing the same damn thing . But anyways, I wanted to try something new so I got two poles installed, I busted my ass for weeks trying to learn and I eventually got it with the help of YouTube and constant practice."

"Well, You're good at it and I know you're about to start your job but whenever you get extra time, teach me."

"You know I will." There was a comfortable silence between us with the exception of music playing. "Start stretching." I told her and hopped up, changing the song to 'On It' by  Jazmine Sullivan and Ari Lennox .

For the next 2 and a half hours, I taught my best friend almost everything she wanted to know.

A few days had passed and I hadn't heard from my brother or my parents but that was the least of my worries. Today was my first day of work and for some reason, I was extremely anxious. Draped in a baby blue pants set, my Steve Madden heels clicked with each step as I strutted off the elevator. I wish I felt as good as I looked.

"Good Morning." I spoke confidently, ignoring some of the side eyes and murmurs that were clearly directed my way. Making my way to Onyx's office, before I could knock on the door, it swung open. A woman stormed out, nearly pushing me down in the process.

Onyx wasn't too far behind her with a grin on his handsome face. "Ms. Miller."

"Mr. Reed." I greeted trying to hide my aggravation. I had a feeling this would be my first and last day.