II

Karsyn Sekai Miller.

"Bag lady you gon' hurt your back, Draggin' all them bags like that. I guess nobody ever told you, all you must hold onto, is you." - Erykah Badu

A few days had gone by and physically, I was better but emotionally, not so much. I'd finally gotten out of the house and in this moment, I realized why I preferred to be home ninety-five percent of the time.

I sat in the passenger side of Genesis' 2019 Honda Accord.

"I'm just so stressed." Genesis vented, turning into her apartment complex.

"I told you I could get you the money."

"Nah. I don't wanna depend on you. Imma just have to do something, I don't know what but I'll figure the shit out."

Genesis was trying to get the money to bond her brother out of jail. He was just like Dimitri, had potential to be something great but was too caught up in the street life to see it.

"My mama said he needs to sit in there but I can't do him like that."

I understood her whole heartedly, Karter's twin, my other brother, Kristian was currently doing six years in the state penitentiary for manslaughter. My parents had completely forgotten about him and it seemed like Karter had too, so I was the only one driving to visit him, making sure he had money on his books every week, as well as trying to manage his moving company so it wouldn't go down the drain. But he was up for parole in a few months, so hopefully he would be coming home soon.

"Enough about that shit, how are you?"

I shrugged. "I mean, I'm good." I trailed off. "I'm really just tired of Dimitri's shit, at this point, I believe that I need to be leave him alone for a little bit."

"You can't raise a grown ass man, that was his mama's job. I know you want better for him but he doesn't even want better for himself."

I groaned, I'd heard that so many times. "I know but damn, can we at least have one man make it out and do something good in this fucked up ass world? His dumbass has been shot three times and still won't sit the fuck down."

"I feel you, I try to tell Malachi the same thing. But you are about to start school soon and you got so much other shit to worry about, so just let him learn on his own. You need to focus on you."

It was easier said than done .

I got ready to say something but my phone vibrated in my lap, looking down, I saw that Niko, one of my brother's employees was calling .

Letting out an aggravated sigh, I answered and put it on speaker.

"Boss Lady, we got somebody up here asking to speak to the owner."

"What's the problem?"

I could hear some commotion in the background before it got silent.

"I just got here but she said that somebody dropped her TV."

I shook my head. "Just have her fill out a damage form."

"I tried, but she's out here spazzing."

Pinching the bridge of my nose, I laid my head back on the headrest. "I'll be there soon, tell her I'll write her a check for the tv."

I hung up the phone, sitting it in the cup holder.

Genesis didn't say a word, instead, she reversed out of the parking lot and headed in the direction of the office.