Backstories

Third person POV

    Y/N had heard Kurapika's backstory, and she was content on helping him defeat the Phantom Troupe. However, she didn't want to be noticed so she unnoticeably lagged behind. She was curious why Leorio wanted to be a Hunter, but she couldn't trust her new friends yet to tell them more about herself. 

     Meanwhile, Leorio was revealing to Kurapika why he wanted to be a Hunter. He revealed that he did want to be a Hunter for the money. However, Kurapika knew there was something deeper to it. Y/N was lagging behind them, but her hearing was sharp so she could still hear the conversation. 

     "My friend wouldn't have been dead now if I had the money!" Leorio shouted. Y/N let out an audible gasp, almost loud enough for Leorio and Kurapika to hear. She internally scolded herself. "Never show any emotions." Her sister's words once again echoed in her head. She dug her nails into the palms of her hands, hoping it would get rid of the anger she felt. "Was it illness?" Kurapika asked, in a stern tone. "It wasn't a terminal disease. But the operation was too expensive. I was so simple-minded! I wanted to be a doctor, so I could cure my friend and everyone else like him!" Leorio said. 

     Y/N felt an overwhelming sadness. She hadn't even met this boy, yet she felt sorry for him. She knew that it was stupid to feel sad over something like that. Her sister's words once again took control of her thoughts. She started running faster, thinking it would ease her mind. She excused her emotions and passed it off as an effect of all the running she had been doing. She didn't want to feel like she did anymore.

                                                           Y/N POV

     You needed some time away from your new "friends". You didn't understand why people glorified having friends so much. All your "friends" were only causing you to be sad and angry. Your sister's words clouded your thoughts. "Never feel bad for anyone." You eventually gave up and let her words cloud your thoughts. You  kept running, and you were nearing the end. You became more relaxed, and focused your thoughts towards the exit of the tunnel. As you were nearing the exit, you saw Gon and his friend running through the exit of the tunnel. When you got out of the tunnel, you heard them debating over who crossed the finish line first. "Y/N-san! Who crossed the finish line first, me or Killua?" Gon asked. "Killua? Is that your new friend?" you asked. 

     "Yeah! He's a former assassin!" Gon exclaimed. You wondered how Killua could trust Gon so easily with such sensitive information. "Hey, I'm Killua. I used to be a former assassin, but I quit being one." You made sure to be cautious around him, considering that it wouldn't be impossible for him to have been one of the assassins targeting your family. 

     "I think you guys crossed at the same time. I was watching from below, though. You should ask the examiner." you replied. "Mr. Satotz, who crossed the finish line first?" "I saw that both of you came out at the same time" he replied. You heard them compromise that they would buy each other's dinner. You smiled at their behavior.

     You waited a while for Kurapika and Leorio to come out of the tunnel. "Hey Kurapika!" Gon said. You got up from where you were sitting to see Kurapika. He seemed out of breath, but Leorio looked even worse. You started to doubt whether or not Leorio would even be able to pass the Hunter Exam. You also wondered whether or not you should doubt if he would be able to pass. To be fair, your last friendship was in Kindergarten.

      The fog began to clear, and Gon let out a huge smile. The examiner began explaining Swindler's Swamp. You grew up in a relatively isolated area, so you encountered many creatures while exploring the forests near your house. However, you had a feeling the creatures you would encounter here are different from the creatures you've encountered.