Chapter 8

Present Moment.

I'm running. I don't have time to catch my breath, not right now at least. Those demons are probably only ten or twenty seconds behind me, so I have to put as much distance between myself and them as possible.

Then, I hear a series of growls, roars, and screeches. Shit, they're already here. I run for a few more moments before turning around and holding my hands in front of me, ready to set them alight with magic.

Mist materializes, and a massive shroud of it too. There's going to be a lot of demons. How in the world am I going to fight all of them?

I start gathering my magic. Even in this frozen wasteland, the air around me shimmers and the snowflakes that get too close are instantly turned to rain. The heat of my magic doesn't bother me, and neither does most fire.

Then, I see them emerge. Some of them retain their humanoid, yet still uncanny forms. Others ditch the shabby performance, and assume far more monstrous forms. Unfortunately for them, I'm ready.

I unleash a golden bead of light that sails towards them, the light around it distorted by the heat radiating from it. Once it reaches the demons, I release its power.

Golden light swells to engulf a large chunk of the shadowy horde. Those that aren't touching it shy away from it. Even from where I am, I can feel its heat.

When the light fades, everything that was within it is blackened ash. I smile. Good, I have the advantage right now.

I throw a blast of golden flame at a demon that gets uncomfortably close, and it collapses upon impact.

Yet, dozens still remain. Now, they've recovered from the blinding light, and they charge towards me.

I take a deep breath and gather my magical power. However, it seems they're learning. The moment they see a light gather in my hand, they immediately scatter apart.

For a moment, my mind is scrambling to come up with a new plan, but it isn't hard to find one. I continue condensing my magic into a bead of light.

I back away from the demons, keeping my eyes trained on them. They slow down as well, cautiously approaching me.

I can see a few looping back around me. It seems they think that if I'm surrounded, I can only kill a few of them.

Little do they know the sheer amount of ways I practice unleashing the fire within.

I clasp my hands together, creating an opening for the flames to flow through. The moment they get too close, I unleash my power.

Instead of letting it burst forth at once. I release it over a few seconds. I rotate my hands, and a plume of flame swallows every single demon foolish enough to try and confront me.

Most of them die instantly. Others stumble to the ground and convulse. Others run. Only a few still stand tall.

Yet, with a few bolts of golden flame, all of them are struck down. I reevaluate the situation to ensure it's safe, and I charge out into the wasteland.

The aftermath of me using so much power keeps me warm for several minutes. But I'm feeling the cold set in once again, causing my ears to go numb and my fingers to feel clumsy.

I curse under my breath and fumble out my demonology book. I want to get out of this place, but how do I do that?

It is often said that the Abyss is named for the entrance to the fifth layer from the fourth. It is the most menacing of all the passageways. Deep within the wasteland, one can find a heavily guarded, massive trench. The trench is dark within. Leaping into this trench transports one to the fifth Layer.