iii

three: two worlds apart

Vivian,

It's 4:30am and I can't sleep. I can't stop thinking of you, of us.

I know it sounds stupid, desperate even, but the only time I feel whole again is when I'm writing these letters. It's like you're here with me, laughing over my shoulder or shaking your head at one of my spelling errors. I can even imagine the responses you would give to these, or at least, what I think you would.

It's only after you've passed that I've realized how little any of us really knew you. Yes, I can say that we were close, that we were in love, because we were, but you were always caught up in your own head, wary of every little thing you said. Even I couldn't see that you were hurting, Vi, that's how well you hid it. You were as closed up as you could get, locking your troubles to a part of your brain that only you could see, not wanting to burden anyone else with your hurting. You were always in a different world, always someplace else when we were here.

I can't even begin to count how many times I'd tried to start up a conversation with you, only for you to be staring off into the distance with glazed eyes; you were living a dream. Or, more so, you were living in a world that you could only have wished to truly be in.

Even so, you truly were worth it, darling. (Remember how flustered it made you when I called you that, how you averted your eyes from mine blushingly?) You were worth every minute of every day that anyone had ever spent with you. I wouldn't trade our love for the world, and I know you would say the same of me. If there's anything I'm completely sure of, it would be that; our love runs deeper than anyone could ever imagine.

I'm going to close off this letter now, as I am hardly able to keep my eyes open, but I'll likely be back with another one sometime soon. I was never able to distance myself from you for very long, and it seems that old habits die hard.

I miss you. I love you always and forever.

From Just One World Apart,
Wilbur