Chapter 1: Dark Alley

Wen Calendar, Year 350, March 20 at 23:55

"Breathe...

...In the sea"

Leo gazed at the starry evening sky, as he closed his eyes to immerse himself in the music.

"Free...

From the grief...."

As he opened his eyes once more, he smiled and walked his way back home. With each and every step he took, he passed by tens of people.

He was currently at the busiest part of Redwind City, the Golden District–an area filled with nothing but shops and people.

Some sold daily necessities, while others sold weapons, armor, and the like. The latter items strangely released a faint aura every now and then, as if alive.

Once he turned to a different, the number of people he passed by started dwindling. The moment he realized what was happening, the teen tapped on his watch and the music stopped playing.

He examined the street and thought, "Where is everybody?"

Leo checked his watch and it did say, [23:57].

Thud! 

The teen was about to shrug it off but at that moment, he heard something fall. 

‘What was that‽’

His inner thoughts ran wild, stricken with fear, he slowly searched for the source.

He heard the noise from his left ear first, so he glanced at the alley to his left. He tapped on his watch and a half transparent and blue panel manifested. It was something similar to a hologram but tangible.

The teen clearly didn't think much of it and hastily swiped and tapped on the panel. He seemed to have tapped on the wrong icons, so he had to swipe the extra panels out of existence. He only stopped when there were only two panels left, he calmed himself down before pressing on the panel with numbers.

He typed down the numbers, [911].

Leo thought, 'Now even if there's something like a monster, or a murderer, I'll be able to call for help. Although it might not be on time'.

Just as he was about to walk into the alley, he heard a voice, "He...elp!"

Already prepared for this situation, he dashed into the alley and scanned the area. He saw a man, covered in blood, laying on the ground.

Leo scrutinized the man, but he couldn't see much as the man was wearing a black hoodie. He was about to press on the call icon, when he felt something try to grasp his ankle. Shocked as he was, Leo kicked the ground to jump away.

He relaxed once he noticed that it was only the hooded man. The man slowly raised himself up so he could lean on the wall to his right, smearing some blood on it in the process.

His gaze landed on Leo and with great difficulty he uttered, “Kid, I know my body enough to know that I won't live for much longer. Even if you call for help now, it will not change a thing…hah… However, I hope you can fulfill a wish of mine.”

"I'm all ears", said Leo as he took something similar to earphones off his ears.

The wounded man continued, "It's just that...hah… at my age I don't have a single disciple, what more a son?”

As Leo listened to his every word, his furrowed eyebrows softened and he even showed a faint smile.

To confirm his thoughts, he asked, “Are you saying you want a successor?”